[SOLVED] PC shuttering & GPU running at 100%

Parkerino

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
Hello i'm having a problem with my PC just running like crap sometimes. Right now just my GPU is sitting at 80%-90% and all i have open is Chrome to write this Twitch and WoW running. Windows desktop manager will spike to 50% while chrome and twitch will sit at 30% and WoW is on 1%. And half way through this i had to reset my pc because it just froze. Then the next day the PC will run perfect. Also even twitch and chrome will spike to 80% sometimes and thats when it fully freezes.
so just to write this its full frozen once and both monitors turn off for a few seconds then back to normal

Specs are
MB: Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI WB
CPU: i7-8700k
16gb ram
psu: thermaltake toughpower 1000w

Solution
Boy we have a very similar system! I had this problem and for me it was the Corsair iCue software I was running and I had to install an older version to correct my problems.

I would look at Task Manager and look to see what is eating up resources. If it is Chrome which has a tendency to do that, uninstall and reinstall. Also look for your start-up programmes and disable any that are not needed.

Also there was a Windows Update issue which caused high CPU usage.
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/new-windows-10-build-update-can-cause-high-cpu-activity.html

Finally, double check your drivers to make sure you are up to date. Nvidia Drivers occasionally have an issue so double check, clean out the old Drivers with DDU and reinstall...
Boy we have a very similar system! I had this problem and for me it was the Corsair iCue software I was running and I had to install an older version to correct my problems.

I would look at Task Manager and look to see what is eating up resources. If it is Chrome which has a tendency to do that, uninstall and reinstall. Also look for your start-up programmes and disable any that are not needed.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/new-windows-10-build-update-can-cause-high-cpu-activity.html

Finally, double check your drivers to make sure you are up to date. Nvidia Drivers occasionally have an issue so double check, clean out the old Drivers with DDU and reinstall the NVidia drivers.

Solution

Parkerino

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013

Finally, double check your drivers to make sure you are up to date. Nvidia Drivers occasionally have an issue so double check, clean out the old Drivers with DDU and reinstall the NVidia drivers.
I could try that with my Logitech software and see if that changes anything.
I had Firefox and it was doing the same thing, then just before I posted this I installed chrome and yeah kept doing it. Already got rid of the startup programs.

Drivers are all up to date, but I'll try clean them with the ddu and reinstall tonight and see if that fixes it, thanks!