[SOLVED] PC shutting down 1-2 minutes after booting since I cleaned it.

Hyjune

Reputable
Feb 14, 2020
Hey, so I went through the process of cleaning dust out of my computer this evening, and after I did so my fan became really loud instantly upon startup and after 1-2 minutes the PC would just shut off. I've been searching for a while, and it seems like I took apart the heatsink and didn't re-apply thermal paste but I'm not sure. When I looked up pictures of a heatsink, most of them are directly on top of the CPU, but all I have that looks like that is a filter-looking thing between two fans on the rear end of my case. Is that the heatsink? Furthermore, is the thermal paste the reason I'm encountering this issue? Thanks.

Solution
The next step would be to reinstall that AIO and re-applying thermal paste.

If that doesn't work I'd replace the AIO. It cannot be anything else. It's faulty or a tube is blocked, dead pump etc.

NiaNia

Honorable
Sep 30, 2015
Yes, you probably removed the thermal paste.

That "filter" could actually be a filter, or a radiator. The fans are probably spinning fast because the CPU is running hot( lack of thermal paste) and if it runs too hot it will shut itself down. You must learn how to re-apply thermal paste, if you don't have any you must buy some.

pictures also help.

Hyjune

Reputable
Feb 14, 2020
Yes, you probably removed the thermal paste.

That "filter" could actually be a filter, or a radiator. The fans are probably spinning fast because the CPU is running hot( lack of thermal paste) and if it runs too hot it will shut itself down. You must learn how to re-apply thermal paste, if you don't have any you must buy some.

pictures also help.
Here's a picture of the part.
View: https://imgur.com/XDqB4YD

Hyjune

Reputable
Feb 14, 2020
To be clear, I never removed the part directly on top of the cpu, only the (what I now think upon further investigation is called a) radiator in-between the fans.

Hyjune

Reputable
Feb 14, 2020
How did you clean your PC and with what?

What is your CPU running with that AIO?
I cleaned it with a compressed air can and some Q-Tips. Are you asking about the temps it usually gets when you're asking what my CPU is usually running? If so, it gets about 70-80C when I'm stressing it.

Hyjune

Reputable
Feb 14, 2020
If you go in your BIOS what kind of temperature do you see for your CPU and does the system restart even in the BIOS?

A PC shutting down like that is normally overheating or PSU issues.
When I look at the CPU temp in BIOS it slowly climbs to 88 and then flatlines at 88C, and it does not shut down when I'm in BIOS.

When I look at the CPU temp in BIOS it slowly climbs to 88 and then flatlines at 88C, and it does not shut down when I'm in BIOS.

88C in BIOS is not normal.
  • Your CPU AIO is not properly seated on the CPU.
  • Your CPU AIO is faulty. Like a dead pump.
You said you did not remove the AIO from the CPU so if your temperature was fine before it can only be one of the 2 options above.

Hyjune

Reputable
Feb 14, 2020
88C in BIOS is not normal.
  • Your CPU AIO is not properly seated on the CPU.
  • Your CPU AIO is faulty. Like a dead pump.
You said you did not remove the AIO from the CPU so if your temperature was fine before it can only be one of the 2 options above.
Could the part of the AIO between the fans be screwed on wrong? That's the only part I moved and I feel like it has to be something I did that made it stop working.

Hyjune

Reputable
Feb 14, 2020
I put on thermal paste today, and that was the source of my problems. I guess whenever I removed the radiator I moved the other part around a bit and in turn destroyed the old thermal paste. I think it was due for a new coat anyways. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot it.