Question PC shutting down after ~30 minutes of gaming

May 28, 2020
Hey guys! I’ve been trying to game on my PC for some time now but it keeps closing by itself after ~30 minutes of playing (namely Hades).

Here are my current specs:

Gigabyte GA-H97-GAMING 3 4DDR3 (REV 1.0)

Intel i7-4790 3.6GHz 4Cores 8MB Cache

MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G DDR5

2 8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3-1600 CL10 240-Pin DIMM Blue

240GB Intel 730 Series SSD (550/270MBs)

Samsung SH-224DB/BEBS Sata Vlack Internal 24X Speed Plus DVD RW Drive

TP-LINK TL-WN951N

WD 1TB Black Series (WD1003FZEX) SATA III 7200RPM 64MB 3.5" "Internal"

Corsair CX750M Modular ATX PSU 80 Plus Bronze

First thought it might be because I hadn’t changed my thermal paste in a long time, so I applied new thermal paste and cleaned the whole thing as much as I could with compressed air and a vacuum cleaner. Sadly the problem persists and here I am asking for help! I used to believe it might have something to do with my graphics card as the shutdown occurs much more commonly when using that instead of the integrated intel graphics, I just find it weird because if it did overheat I would expect it to slow down (drop frames) or something like that. Overall it does not get super hot, so I think that this isn't an overheating issue.
When plugging the hdmi cable to the motherboard and using the intel integrated graphics, the performance is obviously inferior, but it takes a lot more stress for the PC to shutdown (namely playing PC Building Simulator).

I have also deleted and reinstalled the graphics card's drivers to no help.

So what I'm thinking at the moment is that there might be a a problem with the PSU - that when just using the CPU by itself the power is handled fine, but when using the graphics card it is not enough, or something like that.

EDIT: did a UserBenchmark and the graphics card was shown to be underperforming:
MQUqODu.png

Last edited:
May 28, 2020
what the gpu temp after 20 mins?
test with another psu?

userbenchark said 46% vs your 43.7%, not that much different

Don't really have access to another PSU, here's the data I got from around 23 minutes of playing - before I did this I adjusted some settingswith MS afterburner - I also noticed that with the new drivers there's a weird faint buzzing/static sound coming out of my speakers when playing the game (stops when closing it)... I don't think that's normal after updating drivers.. right?

gIuP3ld.png

Last edited:
May 28, 2020
Try downclocking your graphics card to AMD reference clocks.

MSI Radeon R9 290 GAMING 4G
1007MHz Core(OC mode)
977MHz Core(Gaming mode)
947MHz Core(Silent mode)

AMD R9 290 reference
up to 947MHz engine clock

After downclocking it to that speed and putting higher fan settings, the PC shut down after about 42 minutes of overall playing. Here are the settings that were used
R8VsYKV.png