PC Shutting down after bios update and new video card.

moodymama76

Commendable
May 26, 2016
I think around May 6th I installed in my son's pc a radeon 7700 hd video card. Took out a gtx610 or something like that. I did install it correctly. A couple days later we replaced a couple of his 120mm case fans. A bit after that I did a bios update through MSI Live. I want to say I think this was the problem. Every time he tries to play Dark Souls (or any game) about 5 mins in the pc shuts off. I assumed it was his cpu cooler. It was extremely dusty, so I replaced it today with Thermaltake 3.0 water performer. The shutting down persists when gaming. It will stay running without any game on.

Fans top and back blow out, front and sides blow in.

I wasn't about to screen shot it but I had my son watch the motherboard temp on open hardware monitor and he said the second temp listed hit 54°c just before shut down.

Consider me very beginner on PC stuff. I do need help and will need baby talk for me to be able to follow the direction.

PSU Ultra LSP Series V2 750 Watt Power Supply - ATX, 6x SATA, 2x PCI-E, 20/24-PIN, Thermal Controlled, 135mm Fan, Single +12V Rail, Short Circuit, Over-Voltage, Thermal Protection, 3 Yr Warranty
CPU: AMD FX 6100
GPU:ASUS Radeon HD 7770 DirectX 11 HD7770-2GD5 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready
Motherboard: 760GM-p34

Solution
Unfortunately PSU's are tough to test accurately at home - you can test that it 'works' easily enough, but whether it'll work with X, Y & Z components is an entirely different thing altogether.

The only way to know for sure, is to try it (which you've done). The problem is, poor quality PSU's rarely have decent enough protection to safeguard your other components.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Ultra's are Tier 5:

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Assuming you plugged in the extra power cable to the new video card, I would suspect the power supply is inadequate. Ultra psu's are not very good, even their more expensive models are inferior.

moodymama76

Commendable
May 26, 2016

How would I test it? It's still under warranty.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Unfortunately PSU's are tough to test accurately at home - you can test that it 'works' easily enough, but whether it'll work with X, Y & Z components is an entirely different thing altogether.

The only way to know for sure, is to try it (which you've done). The problem is, poor quality PSU's rarely have decent enough protection to safeguard your other components.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Ultra's are Tier 5:

Warranty isn't going to help much to be honest. You can rarely claim under warranty that "hey, this is junk and a useless paperweight". At best, they'll offer you a replacement............and we wouldn't recommend you use that anyway!

Solution

moodymama76

Commendable
May 26, 2016
Thank you both I will replace it with another. Any suggestions on quality psu's?

Also interesting enough I got tired of working in win 8 on my son's pc and installed win 7. It seems to be running fine, well at least for now.

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Although the psu may not have been the problem (it still might have been), replacing it is a wise move. A 500-650 watt unit made by Antec, Seasonic or Corsair, and some others, should serve you for the life of the computer and provide enough power for nearly any future graphics card upgrade. Glad it's working again.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
OP, where are you located?

It's not as straightforward as "made by Antec, SeaSonic or Corsair". Corsair nor Antec actually "make" PSUs and they have numerous suppliers. SeaSonic make their own, and make for others - anything 'branded' SeaSonic will be fine (in the 500W+ range) but that's really the only one that works like that.

Look at the list I linked. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
Tier's 1 & 2 are what you want. Whichever is 500W+ and in those Tiers.

If you're in the US, there's a great rebate on EVGA SuperNOVA B2 750W. A quality, Tier 2 PSU. More wattage than you'll likely ever need, and less than $50 after rebate! http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-110b20750vr

moodymama76

Commendable
May 26, 2016

Yes in the USA. And thank you for pointing out that deal. I really appreciate you pointing out something specific. I did look at that thread but was aiming at what you just came through with. Really appreciated!