Question PC shutting down after CPU overheating

Nov 22, 2019
Today when I played CS:GO with my friends, the computer just shut down. When I started it up again I got a warning telling me that the CPU was overheated. When I checked the temperature it was over 90 degrees. I looked on some tips how to prevent the CPU from overheating again and cleaning it was a very good idea. So I disconnected the CPU fan and blowed some air in it to clean it out.

Then when I put it back and started the PC it only took max 5 min for it to shut down again. This time without warning that it had overheated. But everytime I start it up, it only runs for about 5 min before it shuts down again.

I haven't changed my cooling paste since I built my computer and thought it maybe could have something to do with that?

I would be thankful if someone could tips me about what to do more than renew the cooling paste since I have already ordered a new paste.

Today when I played CS:GO with my friends, the computer just shut down. When I started it up again I got a warning telling me that the CPU was overheated. When I checked the temperature it was over 90 degrees. I looked on some tips how to prevent the CPU from overheating again and cleaning it was a very good idea. So I disconnected the CPU fan and blowed some air in it to clean it out.

Then when I put it back and started the PC it only took max 5 min for it to shut down again. This time without warning that it had overheated. But everytime I start it up, it only runs for about 5 min before it shuts down again.

I haven't changed my cooling paste since I built my computer and thought it maybe could have something to do with that?

I would be thankful if someone could tips me about what to do more than renew the cooling paste since I have already ordered a new paste.
arctic silver 5 is one of the best thermal paste i have found my 4.0 cpu is oc'd to 4.8GHz no problems with temps since switching to it. however using arctic silver 3 and lower my cpu would start to over heat after 30min and same with other brands. however i have only used about 4 diffrent paste before deciding arctic silver 5 was the one for my builds

I've never used arctic silver 4 wont lie after 1-3 failed i went straight to 5

P.S. "EVERY TIME" you pull a cpu cooler off You are now needing to replace the paste you aren't suppose to re use paste thats been used then removed

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Sounds like the cooler needs to be reseated - something probably went wrong when you changed the paste initially EDIT: sorry I misread your post. When you get new paste and pull the cooler off, look at the distribution of the paste - it might give you a clue what went wrong.

Clean thoroughly both paste from the CPU and cooler, apply new paste and reseat -- this should fix it. If the CPU wasn't mounted down properly causing the issue, a reseat should fix that as well -- just take care with the process.

BTW what is your CPU and cooler?

Last edited: