Question PC shutting down and rebooting when gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2020
So, I recently upgraded to an i9-9900K about two months ago. Ever since then, my PC will occasionally shut down while gaming with no BSOD and immediately reboot. This mostly only occurs with a single game which would be Destiny 2. Witcher 3 also sometimes triggers this. Sometimes, within 30 seconds of launching the game, it will just completely shut down. Other times, I can play for around 30 - 40 minutes before it shuts down. I can play other games for hours and hours without a problem.

Initially, I thought it was overheating - however, my CPU runs comfortably at 60 - 75 and my GPU runs at around 70 when under load. Kept watching HWMonitor, no random spikes in temperatures that could cause the system to completely shut down.

I recently upgraded to a RTX 2070 Super and that has really made these shutdowns occur much more frequently, but only on the two games that I’ve listed above. My previous card was a 1660-Ti. Then, I thought it was a PSU problem so I upgraded to the Corsair HX1050 from a EVGA 700W Bronze. No luck, the same issue. All drivers are up to date. I’m really lost on what could be causing this issue.

In Event Viewer, each shutdown has an error of Kernel-Power 41. As for my specs, here you go:

CPU: i9-9900K (Not Overclocked)
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard: TUF Z370 Gaming PLUS
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB)
Storage: 250GB SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD
Graphics Cards: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super (Not Overclocked)
Power Supply: Corsair HX1050

I'm beginning to think it may be the mobo, but any thoughts on what could be causing this would really be appreciated.

May 26, 2020
One month later: RAM is not overclocked and running at stock speeds.

Error still occurring frequently.

Also, did you try gaming with your old processor and see if the issue still persisted?

I have not. But I'm fairly certain that it would be resolved, as this issue only started occurring with my 9900k. Perhaps a mobo issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.