Question Pc shutting down and rebooting, wont start up now while white VGA light lights up on mobo.

Sep 5, 2022
Hello,

I built myself a brand new pc this month, after 2 days I came back and saw my system didnt have any power and didnt start. Found out pretty quickly that the PSU didnt work anymore so I got the same one as warrenty. My system ran without problems for the next week until I experienced weird screen glitches, for example while I was watching youtube it would show me my background for a couple of frames and then go back to normal. After that I got a lot of crashes. Screens go black, pc reboots and starts up like nothing happened. This happened about 2 or 3 times until I got tired of it and I went to bed. Next day when I wanted to start my pc, the white VGA light on the motherboard was lit up and I wouldnt get any display. Couple of days later it worked again so I went to test some things which was my GPU, I ran Heaven and Furmark and to my suprise it ran it without problems, I used DDU and reinstalled the drivers aswell. After that I tried reinstalling windows, in the process it went black again and didnt start up with display. Never had any high temps and didnt overclock any of my components. Did my old PSU fry something or is it just another unlucky component I got? Should I sent everything back to the webshop?

My specs:
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12G
Cpu: Intel I-7 12700K
Mobo: Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 PLUS d4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB
PSU: Cooler master MWE Gold 850 W Full Modular V2
SSD: Samsung 870 EVO 500GB

Thanks for your insights in advance!

Hey there,

What's possibly happening is the RTX3080 is triping the OCP on the PSU. This is because of transient poewr spikes. The PSU draw goes up for a split second, and that's enough to trip the over protections. The 3080 sometimes has power spikes in the order of 550w, but as mentioned only for a second. The capacitors on some PSU's have issue with these high spikes.

I'd suggest considering a different PSU. One that is relatively proven to mange the power spikes well, like a Corsair RMX850.

Sep 5, 2022
Hey there,

What's possibly happening is the RTX3080 is triping the OCP on the PSU. This is because of transient poewr spikes. The PSU draw goes up for a split second, and that's enough to trip the over protections. The 3080 sometimes has power spikes in the order of 550w, but as mentioned only for a second. The capacitors on some PSU's have issue with these high spikes.

I'd suggest considering a different PSU. One that is relatively proven to mange the power spikes well, like a Corsair RMX850.
Thanks for the reply, I actually never thought of this and it sounds really reasonable (Especially with the first one dying in me). I remember most crashes would happen if I opened an app from the task bar (Minimized tab of chrome). I'll have a call with the webshop and see if they think this could be the problem aswell! Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply, I actually never thought of this and it sounds really reasonable (Especially with the first one dying in me). I remember most crashes would happen if I opened an app from the task bar (Minimized tab of chrome). I'll have a call with the webshop and see if they think this could be the problem aswell! Thanks again!

No probs, you're very welcome. Let us know how you get on (y)

Here's a good vid on it from Gamers Nexus: The Brewing Problem with GPU Power Design | Transients - YouTube

It's a good eplanation, and really highlights the crazy power these cards need sometimes! With the RTX4xxx series on the way, the transient spikes will require a 1000w PSy for a midrange card!!

Sep 5, 2022
No probs, you're very welcome. Let us know how you get on (y)

Here's a good vid on it from Gamers Nexus: The Brewing Problem with GPU Power Design | Transients - YouTube

It's a good eplanation, and really highlights the crazy power these cards need sometimes! With the RTX4xxx series on the way, the transient spikes will require a 1000w PSy for a midrange card!!

We are 2 weeks further and I finally got an update today!

Long story short: The webshop's technical service tested all the components and concluded that the gpu AND psu were faulty. They replaced the psu and the gpu is currently at the manufacturer. I will get a new psu myself if I get my pc back from them, any recommendations? (I saw you suggested the RMX 850 from corsair, I'll maybe get that one!) Again many thanks, they specifically mentioned on the phone call that the OCP theory could probably be an explanation for all the shenanigans.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
We are 2 weeks further and I finally got an update today!

Long story short: The webshop's technical service tested all the components and concluded that the gpu AND psu were faulty. They replaced the psu and the gpu is currently at the manufacturer. I will get a new psu myself if I get my pc back from them, any recommendations? (I saw you suggested the RMX 850 from corsair, I'll maybe get that one!) Again many thanks, they specifically mentioned on the phone call that the OCP theory could probably be an explanation for all the shenanigans.

Hey mate,

Ah, that's good enough so. Excellent that you'll get a new PSU (Yes, the RMX are stellar).

Yes, these transient power spikes are a real headache for both GPU and PSU manufacturers. They are both blaming each other for the inordinate amount of returns/refunds. The RMX have superior caps, and seem to handle the spikes very well. Good choice.

Good luck, and if you need anything else get back to us, or drop me a PM.

Have a good one!

TRENDING THREADS