shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
Hi all,

I recently upgraded my system (MSI X470 Pro Carbon, latest BIOS) from a 2600x to a 5800x, along with an AIO (GameMax Ice Chill 240)

My PC temps in BIOS rise to 95c within a few minutes and the system powers off. I've checked the mounting, even RMA'd one AIO but the issue persists. I'm using MX6 paste.

I can't figure out why this is happening. Could it be a faulty CPU?

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my system (MSI X470 Pro Carbon, latest BIOS) from a 2600x to a 5800x, along with an AIO (GameMax Ice Chill 240)

My PC temps in BIOS rise to 95c within a few minutes and the system powers off. I've checked the mounting, even RMA'd one AIO but the issue persists. I'm using MX6 paste.

I can't figure out why this is happening. Could it be a faulty CPU?
It is possible to be faulty CPU, but unlikely. It's more of the question of are you sure you are using the right amount of thermal paste. Are you making sure the CPU pump is plugged in properly

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
It is possible to be faulty CPU, but unlikely. It's more of the question of are you sure you are using the right amount of thermal paste. Are you making sure the CPU pump is plugged in properly

I've reseated it multiple times and the cpu has full coverage with paste. The tube comes with an indicator on the side to show how much to use, so it's hard to go wrong there.

Pump and fans share a header which is plugged into CPU FAN.

I've reseated it multiple times and the cpu has full coverage with paste. The tube comes with an indicator on the side to show how much to use, so it's hard to go wrong there.

Sharing a fan header with the pump is probably your issue the pump needs all the power from the fan header it can get.... Try splitting the fans with other case fans not the pump

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
What case is your build in?

Have you tried to put the original CPU in and see if the issue persists?

Fractal meshify c.

No, unfortunately I sold my old cpu. Poor decision in hindsight.

Sharing a fan header with the pump is probably your issue the pump needs all the power from the fan header it can get.... Try splitting the fans with other case fans not the pump

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean. They are a combined cable, I can't split them. The instructions say to plug into the CPU fan header which is what I have done

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
Also try resetting the bios, if it still has the settings for the old CPU it might be the issue. Also tell us what multipliers, Vcore and so on is set in bios.

Already pressed the clear cmos button on the mobo. But i had the initial set up anyway due to detecting a new cpu.

Everything in bios is default, but I've reduced clock speed to 2.3ghz and its made no difference to temps. Perhaps a little slower in climb but nothing that matters.

Vcore is 1.096v according to BIOS

What aio are you using? I’m using an Arctic Cooling liquid freezer 2 on my 5900x and it doesn’t get that warm. Not the same case, but the rad is mounted the same way. Also are the fans on the rad pulling air into the case or pushing air through the rad and out? Also, is one of those hoses a different temp than the other one?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
When you have taken the block loose, you are seeing good and even spreading of the paste? Not to insult, but surely you have taken the plastic off the block as well being in multiple times?

I think with all you are mentioning it sounds like an issue with the CPU itself. Would be hard to tell without another on hand. Hate to hear you are having this issue.

Reactions: white.a.drew

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
What aio are you using? I’m using an Arctic Cooling liquid freezer 2 on my 5900x and it doesn’t get that warm. Not the same case, but the rad is mounted the same way. Also are the fans on the rad pulling air into the case or pushing air through the rad and out? Also, is one of those hoses a different temp than the other one?

AIO type is mentioned first post. Game Max Ice Chill.

Reactions: ohio_buckeye

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013

As stated, gamemax ice chill 240. Its odd. The metal fittings are super hot but the pipes aren't even warm. It's blowing cold air. But I can feel the water pumping, and I've already RMA'd one so I doubt that's the issue.

When you have taken the block loose, you are seeing good and even spreading of the paste? Not to insult, but surely you have taken the plastic off the block as well being in multiple times?

I think with all you are mentioning it sounds like an issue with the CPU itself. Would be hard to tell without another on hand. Hate to hear you are having this issue.

Yep, perfect even spread. Almost forgot to take the plastic off, but I definitely did. It's screwed up next to my build.

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
Also, not sure on your aio and paste application, on my cpus I do about the size of a grain of rice and spread the paste with a finger. I know some say you shouldn’t do that but it’s always worked well for me.

Thanks for mentioning. Read right over it.

I go pea size, and I've never had an issue before. Plus, this is good paste. (Mx6)

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
What setting do you have the fan header you are plugging into on?

Does the pump have a harness for additional power for the combined plug, such as a SATA power plug for additional juice?

Check the motherboard manual and see if there is a 2A header available, be it fan or pump.

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
What setting do you have the fan header you are plugging into on?

Does the pump have a harness for additional power for the combined plug, such as a SATA power plug for additional juice?

Check the motherboard manual and see if there is a 2A header available, be it fan or pump.

Smart control, PWM. 100% at 70c.

Can't see anything in the mobo manual about amperage for fan headers.

There is a sata connector with the AIO, but there's nothing in the instructions about using it. I think it's just in case you need to use it.

Also try resetting the bios, if it still has the settings for the old CPU it might be the issue. Also tell us what multipliers, Vcore and so on is set in bios.
Smart control, PWM. 100% at 70c.

Can't see anything in the mobo manual about amperage for fan headers.

There is a sata connector with the AIO, but there's nothing in the instructions about using it. I think it's just in case you need to use it.
Try using the sata instead of the fan header see if that makes a difference at all

DSzymborski

Titan

That would be incredibly odd (and the fact that there's a SATA header belies that notion, plus the description on their site implies that PWM connection is for fans only).

One easy way to tell if it makes sense: can you find a wire that goes between the fans and the pump? It won't be through the liquid tubing.

And the fact is, the behavior suggests a pump that isn't running.

Reactions: white.a.drew
That would be incredibly odd (and the fact that there's a SATA header belies that notion, plus the description on their site implies that PWM connection is for fans only).

One easy way to tell if it makes sense: can you find a wire that goes between the fans and the pump? It won't be through the liquid tubing.

And the fact is, the behavior suggests a pump that isn't running.
i am assuming the same thing i dont think the pump is plugged in