Question PC shutting down by itself

Apr 10, 2020
Keep it to 1 thread
My PC has been shutting down for itself for about a week now after a couple of minutes of gaming, stress testing and even when the computer is idle. The computer will try to restart multiple time but it doesn’t so I have to turn off the PSU for about a minute. I have tried everything to fix, I downgraded/reinstalled windows, downgraded the GPU drivers, cleaned all the dust on my hardwares, checked all my temps, took apart the PSU to take out all the dust, etc
I Have a i7 2600k (which is basically new)
1080 Ti
32 GBs ram
850W Corsair Power Supply

Apr 10, 2020
That's a really old model, like more than 10 years. I don't know if I would trust it. It has components that deteriorate with age even when the unit is not used. It's not a bad quality power supply, just really old. A pc like yours can run on a good quality 550 watt PSU.
It was working perfectly fine a couple days ago, it even allowed me to overclock to 4.9 Ghz on normal tempts. You still thinks the PSU is the problem?

It was working perfectly fine a couple days ago, it even allowed me to overclock to 4.9 Ghz on normal tempts. You still thinks the PSU is the problem?
Before replacing the PSU I would back off the overclock a little at a time and see if you can get the system to run stable. If not then consider replacing the power supply. I can't tell you for sure that's the problem but since it's so old you should consider replacing it anyways.

Apr 10, 2020
My PC has been shutting down by itself and I am pretty sure my problem is the GPU. My PC shuts down when I either stress test the GPU for 5 minutes, play games for around 10 minutes or when the PC has been idle for about 20 minutes. I've tried everything, like I downgraded my windows, downgraded the GPU drivers, temps are doing great, cleared all the dust on the hardware even took apart the PSU to make sure there was no dust, disconnected and connected every single cable, tested each ram one by one, etc... I'd appreciate some help!

Ps all my hardware are practically new (they have never been used before)
I7 2600K
1080 Ti
32 GBs Ram
850W Corsair PSU

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020
Don't downgrade the drivers.
What did you use for stress testing and what temps did you got on gpu and cpu while doing the stress test?

Did you oc the GPU/CPU

Use Hwmonitor and look what voltages you get. It's possible that the PSU is bad.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020
Don't downgrade the drivers.
What did you use for stress testing and what temps did you got on gpu and cpu while doing the stress test?

Did you oc the GPU/CPU

Use Hwmonitor and look what voltages you get. It's possible that the PSU is bad.
The PSU in fact is old but it has never been used before. Do you want me to check the voltages on my GPU?