Question PC Shutting Down during light/moderate workload in Photoshop

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
Hi all,
I've been contemplating ugrading my PC, which I probably need to do, but I'm wondering if by resolving this issue that I have and maybe by one or two small upgrades I could get a few more miles out of her. My issue:
When I'm working on a file in Photoshop, usually it will be when working with a moderately large (but by NO means huge) file, but it can happen even on a small file of <100mb, and for example I am resizing an image, my whole PC will just shut down and restart. Like photoshop won't freeze, or go slow, it'll just be running normally, I do something, and bang, off she goes.

So what component is most likely to be the issue here, and what would you recommend upgrading?
My system: (yes, it's old)
Processor: AMD phenom ii x4 840
RAM: 8gb
GPU: AMD Radeon HD5670
Motherboard: GA 770T D3L
Storage; A couple of TB HHD's

Hi all,
I've been contemplating ugrading my PC, which I probably need to do, but I'm wondering if by resolving this issue that I have and maybe by one or two small upgrades I could get a few more miles out of her. My issue:
When I'm working on a file in Photoshop, usually it will be when working with a moderately large (but by NO means huge) file, but it can happen even on a small file of <100mb, and for example I am resizing an image, my whole PC will just shut down and restart. Like photoshop won't freeze, or go slow, it'll just be running normally, I do something, and bang, off she goes.

So what component is most likely to be the issue here, and what would you recommend upgrading?
My system: (yes, it's old)
Processor: AMD phenom ii x4 840
RAM: 8gb
GPU: AMD Radeon HD5670
Motherboard: GA 770T D3L
Storage; A couple of TB HHD's
Could be most anything, I'd start by checking how clean and dust free the interior is. Especially the CPU heatsink/fan. And that all fans are operating freely.

Next would be PSU, especially if it's as old as the CPU/GPU and Motherboard. The filter capacitors may have aged and shifted value, leaving the VRM's unable to cope with trying to regulate line side variations on the +12V rails. But then there's also the motherboard itself, same problem as the VRM filter caps will have aged too leaving load side regulation very poor.

Upgrading would really mean new motherboard/cpu/memory and possibly PSU. There's nothing worth wasting money on to put in an old AM3 socket board like that. You could get along on even the current GPU if all you need is a display with no gaming but Ryzen 3200G or 3400G CPU comes with a very capable internal GPU that would run rings around your HD5670 while still offering a substantial upgrade for the CPU.

Reactions: rdpc

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
There are no wonders. Try to check your temperatures on load, hdd, ram, whole system health. There is a lot of software like hwinfo, crystaldisc info, memtest and etc. Try to clean your rig, change motherboard, cpu and gpu thermal paste, change motherboard battery, update bios, reinstall windows. If that not helps, maybe you have problem with your psu, or other hardware.
What to upgrade? Everything. Your system is old. Maybe you buy some new parts, so leave it for next build, if it's good quality.

Reactions: rdpc