Dec 31, 2019
So recently I built my first gaming PC with these specs:
  • CPU: i5 9600k
  • MB: Msi Z390-A pro
  • GPU: Gigabyte rtx 2070 super WF
  • RAM: 8GB DDR4 3200MHz
  • PSU: EVGA 600W W1
  • CPU cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L
But my PC has been shutting down when I tried to play games. For example, in CS:GO, whenever I tried to launch a "Play with bots" map it would shut down while loading and boot back up but giving no error messages.
I checked the temps and both CPU and GPU are fine ( ~50 C ). Also something to noteis that the 9600k has integrated graphics and when I play without the GPU to CS:GO it doesn't shut down.
So the issue seems to be coming from either the graphics card or the motherboard, but again this arrives only when I play games. Otherwise it works fine. Lastly, this motherboard is kinda weird, there's a 6-pin plug (the same as the ones on GPUs) on the board itself and it's labeled "PCIE_PWR1". I don't have another 6-pin cable so I can't try plugging it in. Hence why I'm here to ask for help...
Motherboard manual (look for page 30) : https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B98v1.1.pdf

If you have any idea of why this is happening to me, please share. :)

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=313702.0
The 4th post has the answer.

The reason to try another PSU is because EVGA's White units suck.
Okay but if that connector is not needed then why does my PC shut down under loads like games ? Like I don't even know what's causing that. If you could point me to a component it would be great. Do you think it's really the PSU?

Ps: Ooh ! And I forgot to mention that in Minecraft Ray Tracing mod (so heavy load) it didn't shut down. I'm now gonna test it with Warframe to see if it's the PSU or just the game.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The psu is the most common cause of forced restarts/shutdowns, followed by memory, and then 3rd party software.

The EVGA White unit isn't renowned for it's reliability, so it only makes sense to test the psu first.

Did you mix/add two 4GB sticks of ram?

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
the PCIe power on your motherboard from what I understand is more for multiple graphics cards or extreme OC of cards you should be able to just plug your card in normal with whatever power plug it requires without using that onboard one

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
maybe you need to update yoru drivers? I know the new AMD software (nor sure if you use AMD software) but version 19.12.2 was buggy and crashed many systems.. so maybe its driver related ( I myself experienced same style of shut down due to Drivers.. playing games for a few minutes would make system crash .. no error.. turned out was that driver.. I reverted back to older driver and everything working fine now.. although AMD has also updated to 19.12.3 now as well which fixed alot of thoes bugs from 19.12.2 but still not all

Dec 31, 2019
The psu is the most common cause of forced restarts/shutdowns, followed by memory, and then 3rd party software.

The EVGA White unit isn't renowned for it's reliability, so it only makes sense to test the psu first.

Did you mix/add two 4GB sticks of ram?
I tested warframe at max settings, all cranked up and nothing happened... I think it might be a software issue.

Dec 31, 2019
and not to state obvious but your machines shutting down I bet cuz your card requires a MIN of 650 watt power supply.. which you do not have..
Thanks for all the information. I'll receive a better (700W I think) and 80+gold psu in a few days anyway. I'll try to fix the CS:GO thing until then and if i meet the same issue than IDK. I'll reach out to you guys again :D
Also thanks for all the support I wasn't able to get on other forums.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
try lowering settings etc.. so card isn't running as hard.. may work for a fix till you can get more power.. hopefully that is what the issue is. Id also check drivers incase, make sure there new and dont do a quick install of them make sure to do a fresh install everytime

Dec 31, 2019
UPDATE: I installed Warframe which is a more intensive game for my GPU, especially considering that I put everything at the max and it never shut down even after a few hours of gameplay. The temps stayed fine, under 40 for the CPU and 50 for the GPU. So what it looks like to me is that the problem is coming from the CS:GO itself are maybe a compatibility issue with the GPU, I read stories of people with the same issue and a lot of times people mentioned the GPU
could be the cause. (I have an RTX 2070 Super) I'll receive my psu in a few days anyway so I'll check if that fixes it but for now it looks like there's nothing I can do... I'll try contacting the manufacturer.

Dec 31, 2019
Uhmmmm... So csgo works now... I don't know why but it works. Thanks for the answers, my psu is bad anyway and I'll replace it. Probably buy another 8gb memory bar later. If I buy the same stick will it work in dual channel? even tho it comes in a single bar ?

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
if you mean Kit as in 2.. then they may work .. but hard to say 100% if they will work with another pair on the board.. myself I have 2 kits of 2x8gb and they work fine.. maybe I got lucky I'm not sure. but like mentioned if you mean kit as in brand, style, speed etc.. no guarantee they will work together unless they are sold as a pair as those get tested as a pair.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
even if I buy the same kit again ?
Correct.
The manufacturers only guarantee memory to work as sold. If they weren't packaged together, they may as well not be the same.
Heck, some mobo manufacturers even state it in their memory QVLs, like in this broken, but very recent QVL for an Asus T-Rex40 motherboard: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...TRX40_motherboard_ECC_Memory_QVL_20191217.pdf

Adding/mixing is done at your own risk.
If it works, then great.
If not, all you really lose is time and money.
Some people are like, "Budget is tight, I'll save a little money getting just one stick now, and add another later."
If they only knew how that would bite them later - some of them, anyways, because as already mentioned, sometimes it does work.
It's best to avoid that gamble though.