Question PC shutting down only when not playing games

Feb 18, 2020
Hey there,
While ago I started having issues with my PC. Random shutdowns and sometimes the computer wasn't even turning on. So I thought it was due to a faulty PSU. I've changed it, but I still have a problem. Basically when I'm doing basic things (like Google Chrome etc.) the PC often shutsdowns and restarts. The weird thing is that when I'm playing games, this doesn't happen. I noticed that his started happening after re-applying thermal paste and after updating GPU drivers, so today I've re-applied the thermal paste and I've uninstalled the GPU drivers with DDU and reinstalled them, but the problem still persists.
What could be the issue?

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI H270 PC Mate
CPU: i5-7400
GPU: RX590
PSU: A good (not bad quality) PSU available in my country (Riotoro 600W)

Ralston18

Titan
Download the GPU drivers via the manufacturer's website. Manually reinstall and reconfigure. (No third party tools...)

What other "basic things" are you doing? Could be a corrupted app.

Uninstall and reinstall Chrome or other applicable apps.

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even information events that correspond with the shutdowns.

Feb 18, 2020
Download the GPU drivers via the manufacturer's website. Manually reinstall and reconfigure. (No third party tools...)

What other "basic things" are you doing? Could be a corrupted app.

Uninstall and reinstall Chrome or other applicable apps.

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even information events that correspond with the shutdowns.
Hi, thanks for the reply.
Little update: Unfortunately the PC is not turning on again....I've tried removing the RAM and sometimes it turns on without it and sometimes not (basically it says on for like 0,2 seconds and then it shutsdown).... If I do a CMOS Reset the PC turns on normally. (I've also changed the battery today)

Ralston18

Titan
Power off, unplug, open the case, and doublecheck that all cards, cables, RAM, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly seated.

No connectors tilted, no cables kinked, crushed, stretched.

Inspect USB ports for signs of damage, debris inside. Likewise for audio ports.

My thought is that games warm things up, something expands and holds a tighter connection.

When not gaming, things cool down, contract and the connectivity becomes intermittent.

Feb 18, 2020
Sorry for the inactivity...meanwhile I tried searching for some other solutions, but nothing....Today I noticed another weird thing: When the PC restarts and it goes into the "restart loop", when I give a punch near the fan (next to the motherboard, behind the case) the PC starts normally, and when I give another punch the PC turns off....what can it be?

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
Get the motherboard out of the case and put everything together outside the case, buli the compute outside teh case using your motherboard board as a stand, put all your gpu ram and try to start the pc

Feb 18, 2020
Get the motherboard out of the case and put everything together outside the case, buli the compute outside teh case using your motherboard board as a stand, put all your gpu ram and try to start the pc
Basically try running the PC outside the case, because that might be the issue? (maybe some short circuits or something?) :)

Jorma04

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
Basically try running the PC outside the case, because that might be the issue? (maybe some short circuits or something?) :)
Must be shorting somehow but instead of running it outside if the case maybe check that you only have the needed liftoff screws behind the motherboard and make sure the motherboard ports are not shorted by the IO plate. Just my thoughts.

Feb 18, 2020
Must be shorting somehow but instead of running it outside if the case maybe check that you only have the needed liftoff screws behind the motherboard and make sure the motherboard ports are not shorted by the IO plate. Just my thoughts.
Mh, how can I check if the IO shield is shorting the ports?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'll have to leave it to the pros, who either recognize the kind of equipment being used for testing, or who understand Italian (or both?) then, and can speak to the methodology.

Not knowing what he's saying, though, it looks like he's doing a pretty thorough analysis.

I did hear a quick mention of Chieftech in his discussion, around 9:28, but I don't know if he meant it's a Chieftech design, or "unlike Chieftech" or what. He also makes reference (comparisions?) to Seasonic Focus and Antec around 12:22... but again, I can't say if he's finding it comparable to them, or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mario :D
Feb 18, 2020
I'll have to leave it to the pros, who either recognize the kind of equipment being used for testing, or who understand Italian (or both?) then, and can speak to the methodology.

Not knowing what he's saying, though, it looks like he's doing a pretty thorough analysis.

I did hear a quick mention of Chieftech in his discussion, around 9:28, but I don't know if he meant it's a Chieftech design, or "unlike Chieftech" or what.
Yeah he's saying that the design is very similar to the Chieftec Proton...I don't think it's a PSU issue though, because I've already changed it once when I created this post :(