[SOLVED] PC shutting down, possible CPU cooler?

Feb 8, 2019
Hello,
recently my PC has been shutting down, usually after playing FM or multi-tasking & I did some research and found that it could be because of my PC overheating, so I downloaded (Core Temp). I soon realised my temperatures were quite high.

So I purchased a fan for my back casing and the temperatures improved.
stabletemp_zpsg9sik4nd.jpg

I only use my PC for Microsoft Office & the odd time playing football manager so my PC isn't really for gaming & is quite old with some none stock parts.

Anyway I found opening multiple tabs or playing football manager, that my Core #0 fluctuates between 97°C - 102°C & other levels slightly rise.
hightemp_zpspdr1j8vd.jpg

Things I have tried - Cleaned graphics card fan, CPU fan & heat sink with a soft plastic brush.
- purchased additional fan to go onto my back casing. [improved levels, until gaming or multi-tasking]

Things I haven't tried - I havent opened up my PSU to clean the fan as I don't really trust myself, however it doesn't look clogged or that dirty.

I'm thinking that it might be the CPU fan as it isn't sitting firm, however I wanted other opinions before I pay out more money on this PC as in about 6-12 months i'll be purchasing a new one, but I wouldn't mind being able to play some FM without it over heating in the mean time. Graphically it isn't demanding.

PC Specs
PC: ACER Aspire multi-media desktop
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
RAM: 4GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7700 series
HDD: 750GB
PSU: Atrix eXpert AX-500-EXB
CPU cooler: AK-CC4009EP01 Venom Pico Compact CPU Cooler

I'm happy to supply any additional information if I have missed anything out.

-Thanks in advance!

Solution

Yeah you'll want all 4 legs placed, this allows the heatsink to maintain proper contact with the CPU, even a slight displacement or air being trapped underneath the heatsink can drastically affect temperatures.

Get yourself a new CPU cooler and if you're uncomfortable, take it to a friend or shop to have them fit it and reapply paste. But if you're willing to...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Don't open your PSU. The capacitors in them can still hold a lot of charge even when powered down. If it's just a PSU fan that needs cleaning, that wouldn't cause your CPU temperatures to sky rocket.

"I'm thinking that it might be the CPU fan as it isn't sitting firm"

If that's the case, then it could almost definitely be the fact that heat isn't dissapating from the CPU adequately. The cooling unit shouldn't be on with too much pressure, but it should definitely be very secure with fractional / no movement.

Did you also clean thermal paste and reapply during your clean?

Feb 8, 2019
Yeah I suspected that maybe the case, my CPU fan/heatsink is in place but one of the (legs) that holds it down to the motherboard is missing however it is secure via the other 3. Bare in mind im not that technically minded to replace the CPU cooler/heatsink so I wouldn’t have cleaned or re-applied any thermal paste. The parts were fitted by someone else a long time ago.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Yeah you'll want all 4 legs placed, this allows the heatsink to maintain proper contact with the CPU, even a slight displacement or air being trapped underneath the heatsink can drastically affect temperatures.

Get yourself a new CPU cooler and if you're uncomfortable, take it to a friend or shop to have them fit it and reapply paste. But if you're willing to try (as it is easy - just have to be careful with electrical components) then there are plenty of guides on here.

Solution