• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question PC Shutting down randomly & HDD disappearings.

draogx

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Hey, been having this issue lately with my PC shutting down randomly and a secondary internal HDD disappearing/not working.

Specs:
CPU - i7 3770K
MB - Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
GPU - EVGA GTX 670
PSU - EVGA Supernova 750G 80Plus Gold
RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz CL10 DDR3

Storage Drives
SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 250 main with OS on.
SSD - Sandisk 1TB
HDD - WD Black 500G
HDD - WD Blue 1TB (which is the one disappearing.)

5 fans, 2 on CPU. Coolermaster Hyper Evo 212. Recently changed the thermal paste.

Window 10 Pro.
Thing is first I started losing the WD Blue drive. Was doing some video editing and suddenly it stop functioning. turned white icon on "My computer". Sometimes it works sometiems it doesn't.
Nowadays while the PC is on, it is there. then suddenly it is not there and either can see it on Disk Management,

Also started having PC shutdowns.
At first while opening the PC it told me I had to reset BIOS setting.Tried that. Didnt work. Kept doing it for few days. Replaced the Motherboard battery, Made some adjustments on the order the PC chooses the boot disks. Seems to be fine now.

Then it started telling me the PC shuht down due to Powersurge detection, when I was turning it on. Cleaned the PC, fiddled with wires to mamke sure they are well plugged in. Change the location of the lead cable of the PSU.

I am still having the shut downs. Mostly after playing a game, or video editing.

I am thinking is the PSU because we had a blackout few months ago, it may have affected it.
Maybe it is the Motherboard aging? which is also causing my HDD to disappear?
The CPU?
The HDD maybe it is because I overused it for rendering one day?

current state the PC shutsdown randomly, then when I turn it on doesnt ask for BIos default reset nor power surge. Power surge is sometimes now.
HDD still disappears randomly.

what is going on?

Some Temperatures:

https://ibb.co/bNPKq10
https://ibb.co/DDF0xZs

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS