[SOLVED] PC Shutting Down/Rebooting When Gaming

Jul 17, 2021
Hi all,
So last year I built a PC to upgrade to an RTX 3080 when they were launched. I never got one, and was happy running my old 1080 in my new rig until just last week I finally received my new EVGA FTW3 RXT 3080 Ti. However, my PC is now rebooting abruptly when gaming. I've gone through almost all of the troubleshooting steps I can think of or find and nothing has worked. I don't currently have an extra graphics card/PSU to try because I sold my old rig already, so I'm not sure what to do. Here are the system specs...

• MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
  • Intel Core i7 10700k Processor
  • Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO water cooler
  • 2x16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
  • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LE iCX3 Video Card
  • EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
(Here is a PC Part Picker list with most of the current hardware on the rig... )

The problem first occurred when I was playing Cyberpunk 2077 at max settings for about an hour, but only happened once while playing htat. I noticed the problem occurred more frequently when I was playing Mordhau (again at max settings) and will occur about every hour or so of gameplay. The most consistent way I've figured out how to cause the problem (the system reboots immediately under these conditions) is if I go to the nether in Minecraft (1.12.2 Optifine with Pixelmon Reforged and Biomes O' Plenty, on a server) with the SUES Renewed shaders on. I tried running the Heaven benchmark and that puppy ran at max settings for an hour or two with no problems and crushed the benchmarks.

So far I've already updated Windows (well, more like Windows forcibly updated itself upon my computer restarting from the crash), reset my BIOS to eliminate the overclock on my CPU, I ran DDU before installing the new graphics card, I've tried underclocking my GPU, I've looked at logs created by OpenHardwareMonitor and it seems like temps stay well below 80c in the GPU, CPU, and system, and the wattage doesn't spike or go above what I would think is reasonable. Because of all of that I've virtually ruled out a hardware failure or overheating of my CPU and GPU.

At first I thought it might be a power issue because I had to move my PC off of my UPS because it was pulling too much for the poor 550VA UPS, but even after doing that an 850w Gold PSU should be more than enough to power this rig (every estimate guesses this rig guzzles around 600-650w), so I'm guessing it's not a power issue (I'm not ruling it out completely but can't do anything about it right now if it is), so I'm not really sure what to do at this point. So I turn to the forums, any advice? Tips? Thoughts? Things to try? I tried looking at this video about the exact same problem so I'm wondering if it's some weird motherboard issue? I'm at a loss so anything you guys might have would be very helpful!

Edit: I turned the power target of my GPU to 50% on EVGA Precision X1 and it seems to be doing a lot better. I'm thinking it was some sort of power delivery issue either with the PSU itself or with the motherboard.

Last edited: