[SOLVED] PC shutting down (totally off) when left idle

bmcmvox

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2013
Over the last week or so, when I leave the PC long enough for it to go idle it will (at some point) completely shut down. This happens either over night or while I am at work. It isn't a matter of it hibernating, it literally shuts down and I have to push the power button to boot it up. I haven't change any settings that I am aware of. In task manager, my hardware seems ok. Nothing is being over taxed, GPU fan not going crazy or anything.

Windows 10
Ryzen 1700x
1070 GPU
16 gb ram

Solution
Have you made any attempt to check the voltages or the temps?
If not...that's the direction I'd be heading.
I would try HWInfo for this (I'd try this first at least).
Voltages should remain within 5% of +12, +5 and +3.3V always...idle and under heavy load..
You may also be able to check the voltages in the BIOS....but they aren't under load...so it isn't a good test....but if they are out of spec in the BIOS....replace the PSU. Temps in general should be below about 80C...but there are exceptions.
Voltages should remain within 5% of +12, +5 and +3.3V always...idle and under heavy load..
You may also be able to check the voltages in the BIOS....but they aren't under load...so it isn't a good test....but if they are out of spec in the BIOS....replace the PSU. Temps in general should be below about 80C...but there are exceptions.

Solution

bmcmvox

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2013

Will do. I was gaming the other day and it did not trigger a random shutdown so I might not even need to see the voltage under load. I assume that if it is the PSU that is causing the problem, and it seems to happen when the PC is not under load I should be able to see any discrepancy in the bios. I will check when I get home.

thanks