Question PC shutting down when launching certain games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2021
Hi all

I built a new PC within the last 2-3 months and everything worked great until I tried to play Need for Speed Heat, the game would randomly shut down the PC sometimes during gameplay or sometimes during the gaming just launching. I hunted on the EA forums and saw other people had a similar issue so I assumed it was the game and moved on.

Now I'm trying to launch F1 2020 and running into the same issue where my PC will shut down (not restart) while the game is trying to launch.

I've played many other games in the mean time with no issues whatsoever (Dota 2, CSGO, Cyberpunk, DayZ, GTA 5, Halo MCC, Mordhau, Raft, Civ 6, Valorant, World of Warcraft).

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro
Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600mhz
Corsair RM750
Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB NVME
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME

I don't believe it's a temperature issue as it's consistently happening during the startup of F1 2020 and temps are all normal. All drivers/BIOS and everything are all up to date too.

I've ran Prime95 and the CPU never went above 85 degrees, a few loops of MemTest64 showed no errors and I ran FurMark where the GPU never went over 73 degrees.

I'm really not sure where to go from here to diagnose the issue, unfortunately I don't have any spare parts to swap in or out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
How old is that Cosair 750 watt PSU? New or from another PC?

Heavy gaming use, video work, or even bitmining?

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (just one at a time) to observe system performance.

Determine what happens or is happening when game play slows.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Check by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated. Something may worked loose as does happen over time.

Jan 17, 2021
Update since posting:

I've done a chkdsk and used the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and since those have completed I can now successfully launch F1 2020 with no issues.

I'm going to reinstall Need for Speed Heat and see if the problem is fixed there too, will provide updates if I have anymore issues but so far looking like it's potentially solved.

Jan 17, 2021
How old is that Cosair 750 watt PSU? New or from another PC?

Heavy gaming use, video work, or even bitmining?

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (just one at a time) to observe system performance.

Determine what happens or is happening when game play slows.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Check by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated. Something may worked loose as does happen over time.

PSU is brand new

PC is crashing on just starting the game

No dust or debris in the case as it's only a couple months old

Everything is all connected properly

It only happens with a couple of games and majority of games are absolutely fine, I've posted a quick update above as it may be resolved but thanks for the advice.

Jan 17, 2021
Update since posting:

I've done a chkdsk and used the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and since those have completed I can now successfully launch F1 2020 with no issues.

I'm going to reinstall Need for Speed Heat and see if the problem is fixed there too, will provide updates if I have anymore issues but so far looking like it's potentially solved.

Need for Speed Heat still causing PC to shut down when trying to launch the game, F1 2020 still working fine.

Bit lost on why that may be.

Ralston18

Titan
I would not rule out the PSU.

Being brand new does not exclude some fault or defect that may only appear at some peak load or other "perfect storm" of conditions.

Go back to Resource Monitor or Task Manager. Open the Window and just watch for awhile - let the system stabilize.

Then, leaving the window open, launch one of the games that experiences/causes the problem. See what changes in Resource Monitor or Task Manager.

Compare to a game that does not have a problem.

It may take a few attempts to catch something going astray. Likely some trial and error as well to focus down on a possible culprit.

Jan 17, 2021
I would not rule out the PSU.

Being brand new does not exclude some fault or defect that may only appear at some peak load or other "perfect storm" of conditions.

Go back to Resource Monitor or Task Manager. Open the Window and just watch for awhile - let the system stabilize.

Then, leaving the window open, launch one of the games that experiences/causes the problem. See what changes in Resource Monitor or Task Manager.

Compare to a game that does not have a problem.

It may take a few attempts to catch something going astray. Likely some trial and error as well to focus down on a possible culprit.

Just tested a couple times there, if I load Dota 2 for example the CPU goes to a max 20% usage, Need for Speed Heat and F1 2020 both spike the CPU over 100% usage.

Funny enough this time both games loaded to the menus.

Jan 17, 2021
I think I see the problem. No GPU! :p
A chap on here had a similar problem. He fixed it by using two separate PCI-E cables to his GPU instead of one with two connectors. I figured it is worth checking yours.

I knew I forgot one part haha

I'm running an RTX 2070, will give it a try with the separate cables and see how that goes, thank you.

Jan 17, 2021
I've tried using two separate PCI-E cables to the GPU but sadly still seeing shutdowns when launching these two games.

It seems to be inconsistent and doesn't always shut down, F1 for example will shutdown twice when launching then after that it seems to be okay.

Not quite sure where else to go with this other than a new PSU.

Spyder187

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
I've tried using two separate PCI-E cables to the GPU but sadly still seeing shutdowns when launching these two games.

It seems to be inconsistent and doesn't always shut down, F1 for example will shutdown twice when launching then after that it seems to be okay.

Not quite sure where else to go with this other than a new PSU.

Hey I have the exact same issue as you. I also have the same motherboard and ram but a 5600x instead. I tried lowering the ram speed to 3200mhz but that hasn't solved it. Did you solve the issue?

Nov 29, 2021
Hi all

I built a new PC within the last 2-3 months and everything worked great until I tried to play Need for Speed Heat, the game would randomly shut down the PC sometimes during gameplay or sometimes during the gaming just launching. I hunted on the EA forums and saw other people had a similar issue so I assumed it was the game and moved on.

Now I'm trying to launch F1 2020 and running into the same issue where my PC will shut down (not restart) while the game is trying to launch.

I've played many other games in the mean time with no issues whatsoever (Dota 2, CSGO, Cyberpunk, DayZ, GTA 5, Halo MCC, Mordhau, Raft, Civ 6, Valorant, World of Warcraft).

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro
Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600mhz
Corsair RM750
Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB NVME
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME

I don't believe it's a temperature issue as it's consistently happening during the startup of F1 2020 and temps are all normal. All drivers/BIOS and everything are all up to date too.

I've ran Prime95 and the CPU never went above 85 degrees, a few loops of MemTest64 showed no errors and I ran FurMark where the GPU never went over 73 degrees.

I'm really not sure where to go from here to diagnose the issue, unfortunately I don't have any spare parts to swap in or out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello,

I have the exact same issues than you have (or did have) with pretty much the same config as you. Except for the GPU, as I run a 2080super. My computer is 6 month old now.
Everything was working fine until I installed Forza Horizon 5. My computer shuts down randomly when playing the game or launching it. It doesn't restart or blueescreen, it justs shut down. I thought it could be due to the game but when playing rocket league, Back4Blood, F1 2022, it happened too now. Did you find a solution to the problem ?

I saw on forums that it is usually due to the PSU, mine is a Corsair 750m, same age as the rest of the computer...

Thanks for the help !

Jan 17, 2021
Hello,

I have the exact same issues than you have (or did have) with pretty much the same config as you. Except for the GPU, as I run a 2080super. My computer is 6 month old now.
Everything was working fine until I installed Forza Horizon 5. My computer shuts down randomly when playing the game or launching it. It doesn't restart or blueescreen, it justs shut down. I thought it could be due to the game but when playing rocket league, Back4Blood, F1 2022, it happened too now. Did you find a solution to the problem ?

I saw on forums that it is usually due to the PSU, mine is a Corsair 750m, same age as the rest of the computer...

Thanks for the help !

Hey

I updated the bios and I havent seen the issue again thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.