Question PC Shutting down when printing

Que159

Commendable
Nov 23, 2020
My PC shuts down by itself everytime I print. This started after I replaced my PSU. I connect my monitor, pc, and printer in one power strip.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Also take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event just before or at the time of the shutdown.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and the time line format can be very revealing.

Event Viewer takes more time and effort:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Another thing you can try is to use another power source for the printer.

Temporarily provide printer power from another outlet and even a different circuit if possible.

Que159

Commendable
Nov 23, 2020
During printing or after the printing is done? Have you tried different usb ports with the printer? Try running sfc /scannow to check for files clean up need. Did you try going into bios, under exit and select reset bios/reset optimal settings?
During printing, sometimes it prints a couple of pages before shutting down. Not too long ago I already did sfc scan as well before the issue. Tried 2 usb ports but it's the same. I haven't tried going into bias. What does resetting bios do?

Que159

Commendable
Nov 23, 2020
Also take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event just before or at the time of the shutdown.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and the time line format can be very revealing.

Event Viewer takes more time and effort:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Another thing you can try is to use another power source for the printer.

Temporarily provide printer power from another outlet and even a different circuit if possible.
Already looked into it, only says "windows was not shutdown properly" during the time of printing and "shutdown was unexpected" I'm actually thinking of that, plugging in directly to my outlet since before I replaced the PSU I didn't have this issue, is it possible the PSU consumes more power than before? I don't if that will affect tho.

Ralston18

Titan
Having multiple devices plugged into a power strip can be problematic. Especially if the power strip is from a discount "big bin" in a box store.

Power strip is likely cheaply designed, built with low quality components, and poor manufacturing standards. Little or no testing and even fake "certification" stickers.

The printer has its' own power supply and should not have any impact on the PSU.

My thought is that there is some sort of electrical loop that causes a short or other issue when printer attempts to print.

Or simply drags down the power via the power strip to where the PSU "gives up".

= = = =

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, used, refurbished)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Printer: make and model?

Power strip: make, model, specs? Any surge protection?