pandasmash

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
hi guys and gals
not been on in ages but having a few issues and hopign you can help.
built my pc about 7 years ago and its great. just upgraded the gpu in that tiem and no issues.
but now when i turn it on i get about 20minutes of browsing before it shuts down. then if i turn on again i get to login then its off again.
i had cpu core temp running and nothing was going above 38C.
i took the gpu out and ran off the motherboard and still it shuts down.

as my pc is old should i just buy a new motherboard and psu? or ram?
im not as tech minded as i used to be so simples fixes or things to check are good.
checked the event manager but wasnt sure what to look for.
any help appreciated.
as i dont use it as much as i used to cheap fixes are great!

cooler is clear of dust. is it worth re-doing the thermal paste?

pc specs:-

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6gb and Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance , i5 3750k, 120gb ssd (need a bigger one!), NZXT Switch 810 , MotherboardAsus P8Z77-V LX, Corsair H100 cooling

apologies for the vagueness of the post as im not sure where to start. seems to me to be temperature orientated as the first time i turn it on i get 20mins then i get 30 seconds. but the core core temp programme i was running didnt flash up.
anything i have missed just ask. and sorry for the long post!

Solution
hi guys and gals
built my pc about 7 years ago and its great. just upgraded the gpu in that tiem and no issues.
but now when i turn it on i get about 20minutes of browsing before it shuts down. then if i turn on again i get to login then its off again.

im not as tech minded as i used to be so simples fixes or things to check are good.
any help appreciated.
as i dont use it as much as i used to cheap fixes...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
hi guys and gals

any help appreciated.
as i dont use it as much as i used to cheap fixes are great!

cooler is clear of dust. is it worth re-doing the thermal paste?

pc specs:-

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6gb and Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance , i5 3750k, 120gb ssd (need a bigger one!), NZXT Switch 810 , MotherboardAsus P8Z77-V LX, Corsair H100 cooling

apologies for the vagueness of the post as im not sure where to start. seems to me to be temperature orientated as the first time i turn it on i get 20mins then i get 30 seconds. but the core core temp programme i was running didnt flash up.
anything i have missed just ask. and sorry for the long post!

If your temperatures aren't suspicious, there's really no need to re-do the thermal paste. I don't really suspect temperatures here. Intel CPUs aren't as hard to measure the temperature of and you don't have a situation like some people have when they, say, run a 125W CPU on a cheapo AM3+ motherboard and the VRMs become the temperature of the sun (and the sensors don't report it).

The TX750 was a quality power supply, but it's 7 years old. Is the fan running on the power supply? It wouldn't be a bad idea to swap it out; buy from a store that doesn't have an onerous return policy for power supplies just in case it doesn't do the trick.

Solution

pandasmash

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
fan still running
taken both sides off and all looks ok.
is there some sort of diagnostic programme i can run or such like?
or just buy new bits and crack on? maybe theres a article or forum post that i could do stuff in a logival order?