[SOLVED] PC SHUTTING OFF AFTER CPU/RAM UPGRADE

amirus15

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
So i upgraded my cpu from an i7 8700k to an i9 9800k and upgraded my ram from 16 to 32gb, now my pc just shuts off after 30 or so minutes of gaming, my cpu temp stays at about ~50 and my gpu at ~85, now I know the cpu temp is fine and my only thought was maybe the high gpu temp? but if thats the case why did it never shut off before my upgrades? its not like it didnt reach those temps before, any help would be appreciated. Also psu is 750watts

Solution
amirus15
You should run memtest86 to be certain the new ram is not faulty, but the issue may be more related to power issues. It's possible your PSU has a fault that didn't become an issue until you installed the i9-9900K which requires more power than the i7-8700K.

It's possible the motherboard has power delivery issue and can't quite handle the i9. You could log CPU power draw in Core Temp 1.16 and then disable CPU cores to match the 8700K. It will hopefully reduce the power draw underload and possibly show whether either have any affect on system stability. You might also want to log the GPU power draw and temperature with GPU-Z.

One other thing I can think that may be the issue, is a slightly shifted CPU pin. You could...
So i upgraded my cpu from an i7 8700k to an i9 9800k and upgraded my ram from 16 to 32gb, now my pc just shuts off after 30 or so minutes of gaming, my cpu temp stays at about ~50 and my gpu at ~85, now I know the cpu temp is fine and my only thought was maybe the high gpu temp? but if thats the case why did it never shut off before my upgrades? its not like it didnt reach those temps before, any help would be appreciated. Also psu is 750watts
Post the rest of your system specs. 85c on the GPU is not good and likely throttling, but that could be a symptom of poor air flow in the case if you are using an AIO liquid cooler on the CPU, but have only a couple case fans. Poor airflow may also be causing the VRMs on your motherboard to overheat if you have a cheaper quality motherboard with no VRM heat-sink.

Reactions: Phaaze88

amirus15

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON mobo,
corsair hydro series h60 liquid cooler
32gb ram
750 watt psu 80 plus silver
5 case fans, 2 in the front 1 back, 2 top
the gpu is not an aftermarket with multiple fans, its got 1 (maybe I buy a gpu cooler?)

amirus15
You should run memtest86 to be certain the new ram is not faulty, but the issue may be more related to power issues. It's possible your PSU has a fault that didn't become an issue until you installed the i9-9900K which requires more power than the i7-8700K.

It's possible the motherboard has power delivery issue and can't quite handle the i9. You could log CPU power draw in Core Temp 1.16 and then disable CPU cores to match the 8700K. It will hopefully reduce the power draw underload and possibly show whether either have any affect on system stability. You might also want to log the GPU power draw and temperature with GPU-Z.

One other thing I can think that may be the issue, is a slightly shifted CPU pin. You could remove the CPU and check the socket for bent pins, then reseat the CPU and see if anything changes. I would do this last.

Solution