[SOLVED] PC shutting off during gaming no idea why, help

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
Hi,
Currently having issues with my graphics card, it shuts my monitors off then the PC shuts down. It's completely fine when idle/surfing but when it comes to gaming it just ends after 3 minutes. I think it's due to overheating as when I use a household fan on the pc without a side panel on it's lasts that little bit longer. I've replaced my gpu fans as one was broken with two 120mm fans (1700 rpm)(yes, it's quick a mess with cable ties) and it still doesn't cool it down. There is no overclocking on anything. I'm running two monitors, on 144hz, one 60hz both 27''

CPU: i7-8700k w/ Corsair H115i AIO liquid cooler
GPU: Aorus RX 580
MOBO: Aorus Gaming 7
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR4 16GB (2x8) 3000mhz
PSU: GX Bronze 550w
FANS: 4x120mm(2 in, 1 out)
SSD: 2 SSD 120gb, 250gb
HDD: 2TB Seagate

Idol temps are 45-50C on GPU, 30-35C on CPU
Gaming temps are: 70-UNKNOWN on GPU, 60-70 on CPU

Last edited:
Solution
My best guess is that your PSU is too small for what you are trying to run. I personally wouldn't run less than a 650 with your setup. In all of my setups I run at least 750W Gold rated PSUs. I tend to go with the Corsair RMx750 (2018 model) or Corsair RM750 (2019 model).

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Your thermal paste on the GPU might be getting too old and dry, I would try replacing that first. There are quite a few thermal paste replacement videos on youtube. If that's still something you feel uncomfortable with, a reputable PC parts shop/repair or a friend can do it for you! :)

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
My best guess is that your PSU is too small for what you are trying to run. I personally wouldn't run less than a 650 with your setup. In all of my setups I run at least 750W Gold rated PSUs. I tend to go with the Corsair RMx750 (2018 model) or Corsair RM750 (2019 model).

Reactions: WarWolverineWarrior
Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
You can go with a 550 or a 650, but probably not with a CXm. It's not terrible, but the CX (non-m) is the minimum I'd probably go, and it's a little better, quality wise, than the CXm.

Click the first link in my signature. That's my go-to-guide for what to get and what to avoid.

I'd personally prefer to go with a higher quality instead of a lower quality unit and overcompensating with a higher wattage.

Consider a quality psu as a long term investment.
Here is one list of psu quality tiers.
Look for a tier 1/2 unit:
I like the seasonic focus units.
Here is a 650w focus gold with a 7 year warranty for $100:
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-650-gold-ssr-650fm-650w/p/N82E16817151202

A 750w unit is $30 more.
Look for seasonic sales this time of year.

Is Corsair cx750m 80+ Bronze good enough?
"good enough" is not good enough when you are talking about arguably the most important component of your pc.
Where will you shop?
In the US, the seasonic 650W I linked costs the same as a CX750M on newegg.
Look at the verified purchaser reviews:
The CX-M has some 20% negative reviews:
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-series-cx750m-750w/p/N82E16817139051?&quicklink=true
The Seasonic has 3%
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-series-cx750m-750w/p/N82E16817139051?&quicklink=true

The 650w seasonic will power any graphics card on this list:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Reactions: King_V
Oh ok, that's only I can upgrade again by then. It's not going to damage anything is it?
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.

Do not buy one.

chrisfoose

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2014
Hi,
Currently having issues with my graphics card, it shuts my monitors off then the PC shuts down. It's completely fine when idle/surfing but when it comes to gaming it just ends after 3 minutes. I think it's due to overheating as when I use a household fan on the pc without a side panel on it's lasts that little bit longer. I've replaced my gpu fans as one was broken with two 120mm fans (1700 rpm)(yes, it's quick a mess with cable ties) and it still doesn't cool it down. There is no overclocking on anything. I'm running two monitors, on 144hz, one 60hz both 27''

CPU: i7-8700k w/ Corsair H115i AIO liquid cooler
GPU: Aorus RX 580
MOBO: Aorus Gaming 7
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR4 16GB (2x8) 3000mhz
PSU: GX Bronze 550w
FANS: 4x120mm(2 in, 1 out)
SSD: 2 SSD 120gb, 250gb
HDD: 2TB Seagate

Idol temps are 45-50C on GPU, 30-35C on CPU
Gaming temps are: 70-UNKNOWN on GPU, 60-70 on CPU

I was having the same issues. I installed two front fans which pull air in and one top fan that blows hot air out. Very rarely my GPU will get past 90 C and shut down. It happened once today and could have been prevented if I limited the FPS.

In short, installing more case fans helped tremendously with my system, perhaps it can do the same for you.

Have you tried putting your components into a wattage calculator? I think 550w should be enough. We have similar cards.