[SOLVED] Pc shutting off randomly

Sep 17, 2019
Hello, im having a problem with my computer. My pc shuts off randomly when i start up a game, i have no idea what the problem could be. After it turns off i have to switch off and on the power supply for it to start up again. Any help?

Solution
im not sure about the make and modle of the ram i got this off some guy on Craigs list,
There should be a sticker with that info on one of the sides of the ram sticks - assuming the seller didn't remove the stickers, that is.

i was wrong about the power supply its this one
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XCjG3C/evga-power-supply-100w10500kr
and no nothings over clocked
That's actually slightly worse than EVGA's bronze models, and could very well be the source of the shut offs.
Power supplies being used in gaming oriented PCs need to be able to cope with constant fluctuations, or spikes in voltages.
This will stress and eventually exhaust cheaper, lower-end psus. I figure your current psu is now having trouble...
Sep 17, 2019
The power supply, are you able to switch it off and on again right away, or are you forced to wait for a period of time?

Are you able to run a game without the gpu installed?
I can switch it on and off right away

And i dont know, im not really good with pcs soi dont want to try and take it apart

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What's so difficult about opening the case up, disconnecting the pcie power connector, removing the screws connecting the backplate to the case, pushing down on the latch at the end of the pcie slot, and sliding the card up and out of said slot?

Well, since you are able to switch the psu off and on again and power the PC on right after one of these 'resets', then I suppose the psu isn't overheating.
How is the psu oriented in your case?

Sep 17, 2019
What's so difficult about opening the case up, disconnecting the pcie power connector, removing the screws connecting the backplate to the case, pushing down on the latch at the end of the pcie slot, and sliding the card up and out of said slot?

Well, since you are able to switch the psu off and on again and power the PC on right after one of these 'resets', then I suppose the psu isn't overheating.
How is the psu oriented in your case?
Its at the top of the case so its facing down

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Its at the top of the case so its facing down
So it sits above the cpu cooler and pulls air in from below... I see.
So there's still the possibility the psu may be getting too warm if it's just pulling in warm air from everything else.

Leave the side panel off and try to play your games - even better if you have a fan you can use to blow cool air into the case.

Sep 17, 2019
So there's still the possibility the psu may be getting too warm if it's just pulling in warm air from everything else.

Leave the side panel off and try to play your games - even better if you have a fan you can use to blow cool air into the case.
Ill try that and let you know what happens tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion didint think of that

Sep 17, 2019

Tried it with the fan and it still shut off

Sep 17, 2019

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
im not sure about the make and modle of the ram i got this off some guy on Craigs list,
There should be a sticker with that info on one of the sides of the ram sticks - assuming the seller didn't remove the stickers, that is.

That's actually slightly worse than EVGA's bronze models, and could very well be the source of the shut offs.
Power supplies being used in gaming oriented PCs need to be able to cope with constant fluctuations, or spikes in voltages.
This will stress and eventually exhaust cheaper, lower-end psus. I figure your current psu is now having trouble keeping up with all these highs and lows, so it shuts off instead.

Solution
Sep 17, 2019

This will stress and eventually exhaust cheaper, lower-end psus. I figure your current psu is now having trouble keeping up with all these highs and lows, so it shuts off instead.
Yeah im pretty sure thats the problem, im going to take it to a repair shop and see if its 100% the reason.