[SOLVED] PC shutting off randomly

nathank72

Reputable
Oct 4, 2017
Hey all, my pc has been shutting down randomly, no blue screen or anything just goes black for few seconds then comes right back on. I cleaned the dust out and monitored temps and they are all fine. I also took the side panel off and made sure all the cables are in all the way and they are. Also tested PSU fan and it’s working and doesn’t shut off. Any idea what this could be? Also did a windows memory test and it said everything was fine. Any help would be gladly appreciated!!!!

CPU- i7 8700
Cooler- Hyper x 212 evo
MOBO- gigabyte z370 HD
Ram- 2x8gb Corsair vengeance 3200
Storage- 2tb HDD
250gb Samsung 970 evo
GPU- GTX 1070
PSU- EVGA 650w g3 (I think)

Solution
That's exactly it. The paperclip test really only shows there's power going through the circuitry and the fans work. Doesn't show the PSU at load, and what's happening then.

You could use a multimeter, or a gadget like the Kill-o-watt to measure power draw.

You can use something like HWMon/Info to measure rough usage.

The best bet might be to swap out the PSU if you have a spare. Or borrow from a friend, or if worst comes to worst, just bring it to a local repair store, get them to swap it our for 10-20$.
Hey there,

Typically, random shut downs like that indicate a PSU issue. How did you test the PSU? In situations like this the PSU will often shut off when the system is at load, but it can be that it acts the same when not at load either.

You've a pretty darn good PSU, but that doesn't mean it's not failing.

nathank72

Reputable
Oct 4, 2017
Hey there,

Typically, random shut downs like that indicate a PSU issue. How did you test the PSU? In situations like this the PSU will often shut off when the system is at load, but it can be that it acts the same when not at load either.

Hey there,

I tested it by removing it completely from the build and using the paper clip test just to make sure the fan came in and kept spinning. But that wouldn’t of tested it at load though, how would I go about testing it while it’s full load? Temp monitoring software?

That's exactly it. The paperclip test really only shows there's power going through the circuitry and the fans work. Doesn't show the PSU at load, and what's happening then.

You could use a multimeter, or a gadget like the Kill-o-watt to measure power draw.

You can use something like HWMon/Info to measure rough usage.

The best bet might be to swap out the PSU if you have a spare. Or borrow from a friend, or if worst comes to worst, just bring it to a local repair store, get them to swap it our for 10-20$.

Solution