PC Shutting off with high CPU temps

Jul 23, 2018
Hello!

So I am having a bit of an issue. My husbands computer has been shutting off almost immediately after starting. Most times it’ll hit the windows login screen before shutting down, sometimes I can get into windows and start to load up and get to the event viewer before it shuts down. He uses it quite a bit for gaming. It’s been a decent system that I had built 3 years ago. He’s played all the Witcher games, GTA games, etc with no issues. No overclocking. Before it started shutting down constantly, it was occasionally seizing but then correcting itself. When that was happening, it was fairly low power usage. Generally just watching Twitch and playing Gwent. So nothing that should cause it to seize up. Granted, at that point I should have been watching the temps, but truthfully I relied on the H60 to take care of things.

I originally thought it was the power supply, so I ripped it out, tested it and it was fine. I then tested all the RAM, no issues there either. I was able to get to BIOS, and saw the CPU temp is high. It starts at about 60 degrees and I can watch it rise to 80 in about a minute and a half before shutting off. (FX-6300 so I understand this is quite high) So I’m obviously thinking it’s an overheating issue at this point.

I can’t get it stay on long enough to run any form of test, or anything at all. As soon as it hits 80 degrees it’s done.

For the important details:

ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer mobo
AMD FX-6300 cpu
Corsair H60 (don’t worry, not stock!)
ThermalTake SP-750 psu
R9 280x graphics card

Not sure what else you might need?

The BIOS was showing the h60 as N/A (was put in it during original build 3 years ago by ibuypower) and last night I swapped the pins around 3 into 3, 4 into 4, rather than vice versa that it was. It now shows.

I’m not really sure what more I can test here. I’m thinking that the issue is either the H60 is failing, or I just need to take off the existing thermal paste and put new stuff on and re-seat it. I plan on doing that this week anyway, but I’m desperate for as much advice as I can get.

So, if you’ve got any sort of advice, I’d greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Jul 23, 2018

I don’t have a spare one around unfortunately. This was my first go with a water cooler. Not going so well it seems... Lol. I’m considering buying a new cooler and just giving that a try if there seems to be nothing else it could be. Though I think I’ll go with the Evo 212. No more water for this girl!

You got 3 years out of the it. That's pretty good. FX processors run warm, so it's worth the upgrade ... that said, the Evo 212 is a nice air cooler.

Just to double check ... you have the plug for the pump plugged into the CPU fan header and the CPU fan is set to full speed in BIOS?

Jul 23, 2018

I have the pump plugged into cpu 2 now, and the fan into cpu 1. BIOS wasn’t detecting the pump, it was just saying NA. So I swapped them around. They had the 3 pin in the 4, and the 4 in the 3. Now, the 3 is in the 3, the 4 in the 4, and it detects it. And yep, set to full.

Should either of the hoses be hot? They are both cold, but with a max of a minute and a half of uptime, I’m not sure it has a chance to do anything.

I’ve read that the EVO 212 is good. So I’m gonna order it and hope for the best. This chip is gonna be the death of me. I’m hoping it can cool it down. Because I can’t see anything else being the issue. I mean, I suppose it could be the mobo, but I just don’t see it.

Jul 23, 2018

I don’t think I have one, but I will check. How do I test it with one? It doesn’t feel like the radiator is getting too warm. Though I was focused on the hoses before. I’ll check again and see what it does.

I was just reading the Amazon reviews on that paste. I think I’m going to order it for sure.

Meat thermometers tend to be pretty sensitive. I would insert it between the fins somewhere near where the hoses come in. Insert carefully ... you don't want to pierce what I assume are copper tubes inside the radiator. While it would be decent test, it is really just to confirm your suspicions.

Jul 23, 2018

Unfortunately, it's one of the few kitchen gadgets I don't own. Though clearly I should. I'm going to try to remove it on Thursday and clean it and apply new thermal paste. Failing that, I will be ordering the 212 Evo (though I may just order it and swap it out regardless). Wish me luck! Lol.

Good Luck!