[SOLVED] PC Shutting Off Without Warning

Dec 4, 2019
Hi guys! I am trying to figure out what could be causing my girlfriend's computer to be randomly shutting off without warning. The system started off with an AMD Athlon X4 950 and an AMD Sapphire Radeon R7 370 4GB with 8GB Team T-Force RAM @ 2400MHz and an Asus Prime B350. System ran perfectly fine without overheating issues or anything of the like. However, a little ways down the road, I upgraded her CPU to an AMD Ryzen 5 1400 and upgraded the GPU to an R9 Fury so she could play 4K as a casual gamer. System ran fine for a while. Temps were still in check that I could see and nothing was really out of the ordinary. However, things started getting a little odd when about a week ago the system would randomly shut off without warning. I have checked temperatures and again, CPU wasn't overheating and neither was the card. I had the CPU overclocked to 3.9GHz but then factory defaulted once the issue started occurring more frequently. Today however, things have gotten a lot worse. Her system has shut off randomly with no warning 4 times today and I can't figure out why. I have checked voltages, temps, swapped PSUs, GPUs and even took the entire side panel off to allow for open airflow. Took the power cable out of the power strip and plugged it directly into the wall and swapped hard drives. Nothing has come to. The issue is still persisting. System specs are currently as follows.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1400 w/Wraith Max Cooler
GPU: AMD Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury
RAM: Team T-Force 8GB 2400MHz
MoBo: Asus Prime B350M-A
PSU: EVGA 600W 80+ Bronze
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM 6GB/s SATA III

I have built probably 20 or so computers in my life, but never have I ever run into this issue. The computer does sit on the rug but even so, it never did this until recently (as of the past week. Last night was when I swapped her old PSU with a new one.)
I went to AMD's website and found a list of all compatible RAM modules. Unfortunately, Team T-Force wasn't listed at all. The listed brands were HyperX, G. Skill, Corsair, XPG, GeIL, Patriot Viper and Crucial. Would that cause inconsistent shut off times? Last night, I was doing some testing and her system ran fine for an hour and a half. I put it to sleep and it didn't shut off for another 2 hours. When she got on, within 40-50 minutes of playing her game, it shut off again. Unplugging the system and plugging it back in a few times, she was able to turn the system back on and start the game up again. After only 15 minutes went by, the system shut down again. Could this be because of the RAM modules not being truly being supported by AMD?

I reverted everything in the BIOS back to what the factory default is and I couldn't update the BIOS because of the system freezing up when I tried to. Back when she had her X4 950, the Team T-Force RAM worked perfectly fine so it's making me wonder if it really is just the first gen pickiness that's causing this. Also, when I tried updated the BIOS back then, it wouldn't allow me either because it said I wasn't connected to the internet when I actually was. I downloaded the new revision from Asus website but the file only downloaded like a PDF or ReadMe page and nothing else was there. I believe her current version for her BIOS is 5407. I know it's outdated but that never caused an issue before.

With MSI Afterburner up in the background and the GPU fan speed set to 50%, temps never go over 38C but the millivolts from the reading stays at 0. I'm thinking this is a bug with MSI because I have run into issues with the software before in the past with AMD cards. When I had my Nvidia cards, it never really gave me issues. Is the 0mv reading something that should be of concern or could that just be a technical glitch in the software?

Dec 4, 2019
I don't have another AM4 CPU. I just did a 35 minute run of memtest64 and not a single error for the ram came up. the only thing event viewer shows is the system shut down at :insert_time: on :insert_date: was unexpected. however, there is another error code that does in fact pop up. it says this system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. this error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed or lost power.

Edit: All reliability history shows is windows shutting down over and over and over. there's 4-6 different errors/warnings that say that same thing.

Last edited: