sdaad

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Hello friends, i got some issues with my pc for a while now and i'm losing my mind because of it.
So, the deal is that my pc shuts down while gaming. In apex legends i can't even get past main menu cause it powers off. When it powers off everything is still working in the background. I can't restart it or power it off with the button, instead i have to plug it off or flip the on/off switch on my psu. At first i thought it was my cpu, cause it was overheating and as i heard it does have some issues with my mobo. I did couple of things.
Applied thermal paste, did the max power thingy on power settings for the cpu so it can use only 80% of the power. And that did the trick for about 3 days then it started again.
Then today, i choose to stress test my pc.
I tested my cpu with prime 95 for 1 hour.
Everything was at 100%, cpu temp was around 65 max but it worked perfectly normal, no issues at all.
Then i tested my GPU with furmark and it completely shut off in the first minute of the test. It powered off the same way it always does. So i thought it's the gpu but im not sure, i tested it 15 times since then and it completed the test every time. When i thought the CPU is the issues i had a plan to buy new mobo, cpu and ram, but now i can't do so cause what if cpu is not the problem?
If GPU is the problem then i can buy the gpu but not other components, since i am a gamer gpu is much more expensive..
So i need advice from you guys.

My spec is:

Mobo - GA990FX-UD3 rev (3)
CPU - FX 8320 Black edition
GPU - Gigabyte gtx 970 mini
Ram- x2 2 gig of ram, x1 4 gigs and x1 8 gigs = 16 in total
PSU - 700 watt cooler master.

Please help, thanks

Solution
according to user benchmark that GPU can only run apex legends at low settings .. so maybe its just crashing the gpu? this setup Apex Legends GTX 1060 - GTX 970 - GTX 1070 with a Skylake i7 6700k @4.7GHz frame rate test benchmark. tested at 1080p resolution. the guy was only able to play on LOW and only got 49fps average

sdaad

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
maybe a RAM issue or PSU?.. your RAM seems odd being all different, are all your drivers up to date? maybe try taking out the odd sticks of RAM (the 4 and 8GB) and stress with the set of 2GB?
Safest bet to test if it is ram is to get into apex legends maybe? Since i can't get past the main menu without it crashing. Thanks for the answer

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
i meant try starting machine with just 1 stick of RAM and see if it crashes still, so many things can cause a PC to "crash" from power issues, bad RAM, GPU, Drivers, and so on.. so myself id start with making sure hardware was ok by limiting what i used at first, if that was ok then Id make sure all drivers were 100% up to date, Id also scan for malware, spyware, virus .. id maybe even go as far as 100% fresh install of windows.

sdaad

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
I tested the ram with memtest64 for 1 hour with no errors. The weird thing is that my ram is:
4 gig running on 933mhz, 2x2 gig running on 667 and 8 gig one runnin on 800.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
according to user benchmark that GPU can only run apex legends at low settings .. so maybe its just crashing the gpu? this setup Apex Legends GTX 1060 - GTX 970 - GTX 1070 with a Skylake i7 6700k @4.7GHz frame rate test benchmark. tested at 1080p resolution. the guy was only able to play on LOW and only got 49fps average

Solution