Question PC sleep mode not turning off fans

Subatago

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019
Hi,

I'm not sure in which category to post this so let me know if it's wrong.

But whenever I put my pc into sleep mode my monitors, keyboard, mouse, etc turn off just fine. However, my fans and the fan lighting keeps running.

Anyone knows a potential fix?

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: GTX 970
MOBO: MSI X470 GAMING PRO CARBON
PSU: Coolermaster V1000
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Do the fans eventually stop running - maybe after things cool down?

Overall, the system is still running ( albeit at reduced levels) and still needs cooling.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Can you see the systems temperatures and fan speeds? Post accordingly.

Subatago

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019
Do the fans eventually stop running - maybe after things cool down?

Overall, the system is still running ( albeit at reduced levels) and still needs cooling.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Can you see the systems temperatures and fan speeds? Post accordingly.

Edited with the specs.

Fans don't appear to stop running, also I can't turn on the system again. I have to hard reset it to be able to start it.

As for system temperatures on idle, it's 30-40°C on CPU and fan speed roughly 1200RPM pretty much all the time. (If this is what you mean)

Ralston18

Titan
Hard reset to restart... no error messages or pop-up windows when you try a normal "wake-up"?

Look in Reliability History for any error codes or warnings being recorded when you put the pc into sleep mode.

Or have tried to wake up the system.

Event Viewer may likewise be capturing some error code or warning.

What do you do to put the computer into sleep mode - keys, power plan etc...?

No third party software or utilities - correct?

Subatago

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019
Hard reset to restart... no error messages or pop-up windows when you try a normal "wake-up"?

Look in Reliability History for any error codes or warnings being recorded when you put the pc into sleep mode.

Or have tried to wake up the system.

Event Viewer may likewise be capturing some error code or warning.

What do you do to put the computer into sleep mode - keys, power plan etc...?

No third party software or utilities - correct?

Once it goes in "sleep" or whatever it does it turns off everything except fans. Pressing the power button to wake it back up doesn't do anything, nothing.

In reliability history it only says "Windows has not been shut down correctly", nothing more.

I put it in sleep mode by going to start and doing it from there, same with hibernate (gives the same result). No third party software

Ralston18

Titan
Two things to try:

1) Windows 10 built-in troubleshooters:

"WIN" + "I" > Update & Security > Troubleshoot Then scroll down to "Power".

2) Run "sfc /scannow" via the command prompt. May find and fix some corrupted file or configuration issue.

Subatago

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019
Two things to try:

1) Windows 10 built-in troubleshooters:

"WIN" + "I" > Update & Security > Troubleshoot Then scroll down to "Power".

2) Run "sfc /scannow" via the command prompt. May find and fix some corrupted file or configuration issue.

Done both without any luck.

However I just thought of it. Yesterday I took my motherboard out and disconnected all cables (including SATA cables) and swapped it all over to a new case. Could this be a potential problem? Maybe 'cause it's connected with a new SATA cable to a different port?

Ralston18

Titan
What were the original drive to SATA port connections?

What drive to SATA port connections did you swap to?

Any M.2 drives?

However, I am not sure about how some such misconfiguration would cause/create the sleep mode problems.

Hopefully someone else following your post will be able to comment accordingly. Fine with me.

Subatago

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019

Any M.2 drives?

However, I am not sure about how some such misconfiguration would cause/create the sleep mode problems.

Hopefully someone else following your post will be able to comment accordingly. Fine with me.
I basically just changed from the bottom ports to the top ports due to cable management (on my motherboard) apart from that nothing changed.

No M.2 drives.

I'll try a clear install of windows tomorrow, worth a try. Thanks for trying to help tho :)

Subatago

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019

Any M.2 drives?

Thought I'd give you an update.

After reinstalling windows it all seems to work fine. Guess it's another flaw in their latest update...