PC Sleeping Problems

politz

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
My computer has problems sleeping: it keeps waking up randomly, sometimes seconds after it goes to sleep!

I have unchecked the boxes that allow my pc to wake up by the network devices in device manager.
I do not have intel smart connect technology installed.
I do have intel rapid storage technology, but I read that it is better to keep it.

I am not sure what the problem is.

Solution

What USB peripherals do you have connected to your machine? It could be a keyboard or mouse prompting the machine to start up incorrectly- you could potentially try disabling wake up from USB (which means you have to use the power button to wake up instead)?

politz

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015

I have a keyboard and mouse connected. I do not think it is that because the log in screen is not available and the screen is blank (black) until I wake it up with the mouse/keyboard.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
It is probably your network adapter waking up the machine.
Go to device manager ---> select your networking card and go to settings and power management ---> deselect "Allow networking card to wake up the computer" or what ever it is called.

politz

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015

They are already unchecked.

unchecking this in windows may not be enough. Have you had a look through your bios options as I believe many motherboards support 'wake up on lan' directly in the bios...

politz

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015

I only unchecked it on windows. I will check on bios. Where would I find that option in the bios? I know bios menus are different, but what would it most likely be under?

Difficult to say (different manufacturers use very different terms). Off the top of my head try looking for things like 'chipset features', 'power options' or something along those lines. If you can post you're make / model of motherboard I could probably help further...

politz

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015

asrock h97 pro4 motherboard

So from the manual:
ftp://europe.asrock.com/manual/H97%20Pro4.pdf

You need to go to the 'advanced' section. In there the options to try are:

1: Disable 'Intel Smart Connect' technology.

2: Under ACPI configuration you can try disabling:
- PCI Devices Power On
- Wake From Onboard LAN
- RTC Alarm Power On (this option allows Windows to set a timer to wake the PC up)
- USB Keyboard / Remove Power Un
- USB Mouse Power On.

I'd try these one at a time to see which is causing the problem. One of these options should sort it!

Solution

politz

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015

Just came back from bios. I immediately noticed intel smart conncet and disabled that. I will see if my pc sleeps well. thanks for the help, and I will try to disable the other options if it keeps turning on. I will update tomorrow.

politz

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015

I think it was intel smart tech b/c I have not seen 1 wake up from my pc. Hopefully it stays that way. I put yours answer as a solution and thanks for the help.