[SOLVED] PC slow and crashing on first boot after several hours, but totally fine on reboot

Sep 16, 2021
Hi, first time posting here.
I have a custom built PC, my very first, from 2014. I've since completed a newer build, but am looking to get the old one in as decent shape as possible to hopefully sell.
After a fresh Windows 10 install it seems to be 90% perfect with only this one problem. When I turn it on after an extended period of not using it (e.g. first thing in the morning), it's extremely slow to boot, and repeatedly hangs and freezes. Sometimes it shakes this off and begins functioning properly, but other times it forces itself to reboot. Either way, rebooting causes it to boot normally and quickly, and otherwise behave completely as expected.
Any ideas what could be causing this? I've run tests on the CPU and RAM and both seem healthy.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
RAM: Kingston 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL10
SSD: WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB (boot drive)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2 GB WINDFORCE
PSU: Corsair CX 600 W 80+ Bronze

Solution
Update 2: Fixed!!
After some research I saw some people suggest replacing the motherboard's CMOS battery. I was honestly doubtful that that would help much, but after a full 12+ hours the PC now boots up from cold instantly with no hangs or freezes! If anyone else has this problem, try replacing your battery before you start thinking about buying a whole new PSU.

Ralston18

Titan
How old is that PSU? Heavy gaming use, video editing, or even bit mining?

Could be heat related. Something loose when the system is cool. Once warmed up, expansion tightens the loose connection.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure by sight and feel that all cables, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Sep 16, 2021
How old is that PSU? Heavy gaming use, video editing, or even bit mining?

Could be heat related. Something loose when the system is cool. Once warmed up, expansion tightens the loose connection.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure by sight and feel that all cables, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Hi, thanks for your reply!
The PSU is as old as the build, so about 7 years. It's been through quite a bit of gaming use, but no video editing or mining.
I did a cursory dusting of the case interior already, but I'll try double-checking cables etc. It's difficult to test immediately since the nature of the problem means it only becomes apparent once every 6-12 hours or so but I'll report back tomorrow morning.

Sep 16, 2021
Morning update:
I dusted the interior thoroughly, un+replugged all major PSU cables from the motherboard+GPU+Storage drives, pushed down on the GPU and RAM hard enough to be sure they're both firmly seated, and still the problem persists! I think we can safely rule out the thermal expansion possibility.
Is there an easier/safer way to test my PSU? I don't think I even have a multimeter, and playing around with the pins and wires is an anxiety-inducing proposition, lol.
Any other ideas would be appreciated as well.

Sep 16, 2021
Update 2: Fixed!!
After some research I saw some people suggest replacing the motherboard's CMOS battery. I was honestly doubtful that that would help much, but after a full 12+ hours the PC now boots up from cold instantly with no hangs or freezes! If anyone else has this problem, try replacing your battery before you start thinking about buying a whole new PSU.

Solution