[SOLVED] PC slow in and out of games after not using it for a year

Aug 18, 2020
My PC can’t really run anything well after I was away from it for about a year. It used to run great, no problems until I came back to it. The specs are:

CPU: Intel i5-4570 @3.2
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
RAM: 8GB
Storage: 1TB disk drive
Power supply: Thermaltake Smart 850W
Running Windows 10.

I had the computer stored at a relative’s house for about a year before being able to retrieve it. Now, the issue is general slowness. Some stuttering with the mouse, programs are slow to respond, games that used to run at high settings don’t work at all or are unplayably slow. I checked all the wires, and didn’t see any issues, but there’s definitely more dust that I haven’t been able to completely remove. Task manager shows no issues, everything seems to be running just fine on there. I’ve run the windows RAM diagnostic, which produced no issues, and then I reset the computer with the disk clean option. Still slow.

When I first got the PC on again, not remembering everything about it, I plugged my DVI into the internal GPU without realizing, then saw that that was running poorly so I tried the power mode and I got a black-and-white glitchy screen and then a crash. Then the computer would shut off just as it turned on, cycling like that. I waited a while and it worked again, but I got BSODs a few times more. Then I realized I had to plug it into my better GPu. Since that day and the reset, no issues there, so I stopped worrying that the power supply is the issue.

I’m not sure what my next steps for troubleshooting are... I built the PC in 2016 and again, it ran great until 2019. Maybe it’s time to upgrade, but I’d prefer not to spend a ton if there’s something I can do here. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Scratch that, Hard Disk Sentinel says my HDD is at 100% performance and 100% health... so that’s a relief but the PC is still unusably slow :(
Would it hurt to reinstall Windows? I'm thinking that a lot of things could be out of date. Win10 alone had major updates within the past year.

If that's not an option for you. Make sure to update everything, from motherboard BIOS, CPU, GPU, et cetera.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Scratch that, Hard Disk Sentinel says my HDD is at 100% performance and 100% health... so that’s a relief but the PC is still unusably slow :(
Would it hurt to reinstall Windows? I'm thinking that a lot of things could be out of date. Win10 alone had major updates within the past year.

If that's not an option for you. Make sure to update everything, from motherboard BIOS, CPU, GPU, et cetera.

Solution
Aug 18, 2020
Thank you! I had thought that with the Windows reset, it would automatically update. Just checked and you’re right, it’s a 2018 version. I’ll give an update once that’s done.

Aug 18, 2020
Windows is updated to the latest version now, and honestly it seems slower. I’m having a lot of trouble figuring out how to update my motherboard BIOS - I have a Gigabyte B85M-D3H. That and the CPU are really the only things left that I haven’t checked, and I’m not sure how.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Windows is updated to the latest version now, and honestly it seems slower. I’m having a lot of trouble figuring out how to update my motherboard BIOS - I have a Gigabyte B85M-D3H. That and the CPU are really the only things left that I haven’t checked, and I’m not sure how.
How are your CPU temps? It's not throttling at high temps or anything right?

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
EZ Clap. Also, when you have the chance to upgrade or change your thermal paste, go for the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. I suggest it to anyone and whenever I can. Apply it and leave it for the next 5 years. Your temps are going to be low af.
tenor.gif

Reactions: Shadowclash10