PC slowing down....what's going on exactly?

Sleepy1988

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
Hello there. I've been having some trouble with a PC I assembled back in 2011. I've upgraded the video card several times over the years, but nothing else has really changed. I've noticed in both games and when opening apps that things have noticeably slowed down within the last few months. In StarCraft 2, I used to get 130fps when playing with most settings on medium, at the beginning of the game with few units on screen, but now I only am getting about 60. Apps/programs take longer to open, too.

My core specs are as follows, an I7 @ 2.9 Ghz, 8 GB of ram, and an Nvidia Geforce 760.

I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 right at the end of the free upgrade period, about one and a half years ago now. I realized a few days ago that I have only defragged the hard drive 2-3 times the entire time I've had this computer, and am going to do it again soon, although I don't think it will make too much of a difference. Any help/insight/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks.

Solution
I would straight up reinstall. Back everything up, and clean install. Works wonders.
Another suggestion is to buy a SSD. a 120 gig one can be had for as little as 50 bucks, and will have a MASSIVE improvement in speeds.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
I would straight up reinstall. Back everything up, and clean install. Works wonders.
Another suggestion is to buy a SSD. a 120 gig one can be had for as little as 50 bucks, and will have a MASSIVE improvement in speeds.

Solution