[SOLVED] PC slowly freezing to a BSOD - SSD to blame?

dugdog

Commendable
May 20, 2017
Hello, let me get straight to the problem:
After a random amount of time (between 20 minutes and 4 hours usually) my PC slows down until it freezes completely, for example:
When I'm watching a YouTube video the cursor turns into a spinning circle, then the browser goes white-ish, eventually the video stops, the cursor starts lagging and after a moment it freezes completely and goes into a BSOD.
I've checked the temperatures and voltages on the CPU and GPU, everything is normal.
Removed my 2x8 RAM sticks, put in 1x4, nothing has changed.
Removing the secondary HDD doesn't affect the issue.
I formatted my SSD and did a clean install of windows, nothing has changed.
I would have installed the OS on the HDD, but the reason I'd bought the SSD was because the system had stopped booting from the HDD, but it still works as a storage unit.
The SSD is Goodram CX300 120GB, about a year old. Rest of the specs:
MB: Asrock Z77 Pro4
CPU: i5 2310
GPU: GTX 970
PSU: bequiet BQT L8-CM-630W

Before the format, it never used to get to a BSOD, it just used to freeze, but the cursor remained as usual. I've only had 2 BSODs so far (since the format, 4 hours), messages were "Critical Process Died" and something with storage, will update when it happens again.
Thanks for help and have a nice day.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the load under which the PC is doesn't seem to make a difference, it can take 20 minutes of surfing the web or 2 hours of playing games for the issue to occur, which seems completely random.

Last edited:
Solution
After a random amount of time (between 20 minutes and 4 hours usually) my PC slows down until it freezes completely, for example:
When I'm watching a YouTube video the cursor turns into a spinning circle, then the browser goes white-ish, eventually the video stops, the cursor starts lagging and after a moment it freezes completely and goes into a BSOD.
I've checked the temperatures and voltages on the CPU and GPU, everything is normal.
I would have installed the OS on the HDD, but the reason I'd bought...
I would have installed the OS on the HDD, but the reason I'd bought the SSD was because the system had stopped booting from the HDD, but it still works as a storage unit.
The SSD is Goodram CX300 120GB, about a year old. Rest of the specs:
MB: Asrock Z77 Pro4
CPU: i5 2310
GPU: GTX 970
PSU: bequiet BQT L8-CM-630W

Before the format, it never used to get to a BSOD, it just used to freeze, but the cursor remained as usual. I've only had 2 BSODs so far (since the format, 4 hours), messages were "Critical Process Died" and something with storage, will update when it happens again.
Thanks for help and have a nice day.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the load under which the PC is doesn't seem to make a difference, it can take 20 minutes of surfing the web or 2 hours of playing games for the issue to occur, which seems completely random.
Check Windows system logs If you see a bunch of disk errors, it's your SSD. Otherwise, it can be the graphics card or the motherboard slowly failing - usually screwy capacitors. If your HDD also showed signs of failure, it could simply be your motherboard's drive controller that is causing problems.
As such, I'd start with checking the logs, then replacing the motherboard - one drive failing is the drive, 2 drives failing is the controller (or you're a very unlucky guy).

Solution

dugdog

Commendable
May 20, 2017
I just checked the system logs - only errors that appear say that the system had been unexpectedly shut down (roughly translated - windows isn't in english).
Also, as it froze 10 minutes ago, it reminded me that as I immediately restart the PC, the SSD doesn't appear in the boot menu and when it does, if I try to boot from it, a blackscreen message saying something like "couldn't boot, press ctrl+alt+delete to restart" appears. In order to get it back running after a freeze what I have to do is: restart -> shut it down as it's starting -> start it again.
I was going to change the CPU anyway, but couldn't get down to it because of the freezing. So I should just go ahead and get a new MB+CPU and see if the issue persists?

I just checked the system logs - only errors that appear say that the system had been unexpectedly shut down (roughly translated - windows isn't in english).
Also, as it froze 10 minutes ago, it reminded me that as I immediately restart the PC, the SSD doesn't appear in the boot menu and when it does, if I try to boot from it, a blackscreen message saying something like "couldn't boot, press ctrl+alt+delete to restart" appears. In order to get it back running after a freeze what I have to do is: restart -> shut it down as it's starting -> start it again.
I was going to change the CPU anyway, but couldn't get down to it because of the freezing. So I should just go ahead and get a new MB+CPU and see if the issue persists?
That would be a good course of action.