[SOLVED] PC slows waayyy down, and then shuts off without warning!

jamesanyoung

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
This issue has happened a few times and I am starting to get concerned. Everything will be going well, and then my PC will start to run veerrryy slowly (everything lags out, even mouse tracking slows down and starts to become jerky) and then the computer will turn off without any error message ect. When I turn the PC back on (it always starts up OK - no error is presented).

I thought it might be a temperature issue, so I blew out my case with compressed air and that worked for a few days, but the issue has come up again today (although the computer is running fine at the moment).

Current CPU temp is averaging about 28 degrees across all 4 cores on CoreTemp 1.13.

I have been thinking about replacing the stock Antec water cooler that came with the PC (about 6 years old).

My PSU seems to be fine, no burning smells or anything, the system always starts up with no issues. It only seems to switch off under load.

It has switched off while watching Youtube, and while playing SCII.

I'm not sure what could be causing this; any ideas? Is my generic RAM to blame?
Should I replace the CPU Cooler and the PSU just to be safe?

Solution
I went ahead and looked at some forum posts and they say 4-5 years for an aio. I have also heard 2-3 years, but i think it would depend on the quality of the cooler. Either way i would definitely get a new aio as they can become less effective at cooling the cpu after age. Usually the pumps fail which could cause that noise and temp spikes. Aios can leak and kill hardware so i wouldnt avoid getting a replacement. That sounds like a good plan and i would look into a replacement. Ram failure wouldnt cause that noise and heat spikes so i wouldnt change ram right now. When you dust the pc i would make sure to dust the psu fan if possible.

jamesanyoung

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
Update:

Last night CPU temp jumps to about 85 degrees for a minute, and then went back down to 30.

Could this be a cooler issue? How hard is it to swap out a cpu cooler (closed water loop)? Does it require disassembly of the PC?

If I go forward with the cooler swap - which one should i Get?

computerjoe314

Respectable
Jan 2, 2019
Okay, a couple things.
You might want to see what software is causing it to jump temperatures and maybe kill that.
Taking out the cooler isn't that hard. Most coolers are fine.
It might be VRM weakening, and it also might be your RAM. It's hard to say.
You might try running AIDA64 to see if it's a thermal problem.

jamesanyoung

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
Okay, a couple things.
You might want to see what software is causing it to jump temperatures and maybe kill that.
Taking out the cooler isn't that hard. Most coolers are fine.
It might be VRM weakening, and it also might be your RAM. It's hard to say.
You might try running AIDA64 to see if it's a thermal problem.
Thanks for the reply. If I wanted to replace My Ram, is that as easy as pulling it out and replacing it with new Sticks? What sticks should I get?

Yes ram change is easy. You can just pull the old sticks out by undoing some dimm clips and insert new sticks. This is usually an easy task. The ram you need is dependent on motherboard and cpu. What ram amount and speed do you want and what do you currently have? Use a program like cpuz and post us the link to a validation page. That will tell us your pc specs. Your ram is likely ddr3 if the pc is 6 years old.

All in one liquid coolers do have a limited life cycle which may cause some temp issues. Replacing the cooler is a little harder than ram, depending on what mobo you have and what cooler you are installing, but a new cooler should come with a guide explaining the process.

Last edited:

computerjoe314

Respectable
Jan 2, 2019
If you think it's the RAM, then installing new sticks is just that simple.
I don't know what they still sell with DDR3, but you should also make sure that whatever you get is compatible with your motherboard.

jamesanyoung

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
This is my MOBO:

Also, yesterday I went to use the computer and found that it had powered off again. When i rebooted it, there was a crazy sound coming from the case. It sounds like a grating-whirring sound. I powered off again, and checked my fans, but they all seem ok. My next thought was CPU cooler pump (AIO liquid loop) or PSU?

When I rebooted, the noise was gone....

I went ahead and looked at some forum posts and they say 4-5 years for an aio. I have also heard 2-3 years, but i think it would depend on the quality of the cooler. Either way i would definitely get a new aio as they can become less effective at cooling the cpu after age. Usually the pumps fail which could cause that noise and temp spikes. Aios can leak and kill hardware so i wouldnt avoid getting a replacement. That sounds like a good plan and i would look into a replacement. Ram failure wouldnt cause that noise and heat spikes so i wouldnt change ram right now. When you dust the pc i would make sure to dust the psu fan if possible.

Last edited:
Solution