[SOLVED] [PC] Software not outputting to sub in custom 2.1 setup

miaoven winter

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
So I just got the cheap Monoprice subwoofer to pair with my new Edifiers, and have been looking forward to putting these two together for my gaming PC. After testing the dedicated sub out on the Edifiers, I wanted to test how it sounded straight from rear I/O. So I did the usual change in Windows Sound to 5.1, check only Sub, full-range on L/R. Sound tests in both Windows Settings and Realtek HD Audio Manager drove the sub just fine. However, iTunes would not send to the sub, Youtube via Firefox would not, no video game I tried would. Restarted the PC multiple times, making sure to confirm changes before launching programs. Experimented with other sound config settings, nothing has seemed to change.

I'm very curious to know what's causing this. I'm perfectly fine using the sub out on the Edifiers; output levels seemed fine and the gain on the Monoprice itself is generous, but I'd still like to test it. Now according to Monoprice, the sub is supposed to take the front L/R output and just take the lower freqs for itself, but I can't see how this is relevant given that it does output a sub signal when plugged into mobo sub out. Is that really part of the issue?

Happy to list any other pertinent settings I may have messed with. I'm sure there's something stupid I'm missing.

Equipment
Front L/R: Edifier R1280Ts (to be clear, this is the updated 2020 model)
Sub: Monoprice 108248
MoBo: Gigabyte Z270X-UD3

Solution
The issue is predominantly lies with Windows not supporting 2.1 as a fixed option relying on speaker systems to do lfe itself from LR channels.

Using 5.1 option you should be able to hear the sub in a game that supports 5.1 albeit for obvious reasons wouldn't be ideal because centre sounds will be missing. The sub jacks on motherboards also cater for the centre speaker so if sub isn't working even when set to 5.1 try swap centre and sub in the audio settings. As for iTunes / YouTube, all of their stuff is in stereo, sometimes virtually mixed but not official surround, not enough to say hey 'this signal goes to the sub'.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The issue is predominantly lies with Windows not supporting 2.1 as a fixed option relying on speaker systems to do lfe itself from LR channels.

Using 5.1 option you should be able to hear the sub in a game that supports 5.1 albeit for obvious reasons wouldn't be ideal because centre sounds will be missing. The sub jacks on motherboards also cater for the centre speaker so if sub isn't working even when set to 5.1 try swap centre and sub in the audio settings. As for iTunes / YouTube, all of their stuff is in stereo, sometimes virtually mixed but not official surround, not enough to say hey 'this signal goes to the sub'.

Last edited:
Solution

miaoven winter

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

Ok, so what you're saying is Windows itself will not take a stereo source and, when set to 5.1/7.1, send the low freqs to anything occupying the sub out. Could there be a 3rd party utility that will do this?

As an aside, when you set the fronts to full-range, that does include center signal, right? It seemed to cut out a fair bit whenever I toggled the center off and on.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Im not sure if there's a program, there might.

Full range just means there's more frequency bands (more lower/higher added along with mid frequencies) to the fronts. Centre speaker is it's own channel, as is sub, that if found a program that could force 2.1 will allocate tracks specific to channels it's designated for, ie bass to sub and voice to fronts. I don't think it's possible otherwise Windows would have supported it.

Stereo and allowing your speaker system to filter bass is the best way here. You won't be missing out on anything really, like a certain boom at certain time, your speakers will still play everything under stereo. Perhaps a little less bass though, depending on the lfe passthrough from PC fronts to what the sub filters. Probably around 40Hz rather than 20Hz if the sub was actually standalone using the sub jack.

miaoven winter

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Im not sure if there's a program, there might.

Full range just means there's more frequency bands (more lower/higher added along with mid frequencies) to the fronts. Centre speaker is it's own channel, as is sub, that if found a program that could force 2.1 will allocate tracks specific to channels it's designated for, ie bass to sub and voice to fronts. I don't think it's possible otherwise Windows would have supported it.

Stereo and allowing your speaker system to filter bass is the best way here. You won't be missing out on anything really, like a certain boom at certain time, your speakers will still play everything under stereo. Perhaps a little less bass though, depending on the lfe passthrough from PC fronts to what the sub filters. Probably around 40Hz rather than 20Hz if the sub was actually standalone using the sub jack.

Alright, much thanks for your replies.

TRENDING THREADS