[SOLVED] PC Somehow on a 2.4GHz connection despite using ethernet

Apr 12, 2022
Last night I was using the airlink feature for my Quest 2, which I had been doing intermittently over the past couple of months, when my internet suddenly went out. When it came back up I would initialize airlink but the Oculus PCVR menu would lag liike crazy and I had no idea why, however I noticed that my Quest could no longer detect my PC because neither were on the same network. After some searching I found that my PC was sitting on a 2.4GHz connection according to my Quest 2 which was causing the extreme lag when I tried to use airlink. Here's the thing, how does my PC sit on a wireless 2.4GHz connection when it's using ethernet straight from my main router? Windows is telling me that I'm using ethernet so what's the deal? Am I missing something? I would like to note that I have a 5GHz connection and a ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 which my PC is plugged into via ethernet cable, I've also been playing without issue for 4 months now. I guess my question is that since airlink needs 5GHz how can I get my PC on the same network that my Quest 2 needs to be on? I would also like to make you aware that the Quest and PC MUST be on the same network.

Last edited:
Solution
It might just be a name. I know I have seen microsoft file sharing show a wifi network name even though all the traffic was running on the ethernet. The remote device can't actually tell how your pc is really connected. It only talks to the router and the router then sends the traffic to your PC. The traffic does not directly pass between devices which is why it works when you have a mix of devices on 2.4,5 and ethernet.

It should not be hard to test just disable the wifi interface in the pc. You then know no traffic can pass over the wifi. The name might not change, not sure I never spent to the time to see where this name gets set. I always use ip addresses
I know nothing about the setup of that device but it all depends on why you mean "network".

A pc can have both a ethernet and wifi connection at the same time. It will though not use both it will use the ethernet and then if that were to be unplugged it will switch to the wifi.

Every thing should be on the same "IP NETWORK" that connects to your router so you only have 1 network.

The exception to this is if that device is doing something strange like attempting to directly connect to the pc wifi. You would then have 2 networks one going to the router from the pc and the other between the device and the pc. If that device directly connects to the pc wifi rather than the router wifi you likely must make setting changes in the pc wifi so it does not use the wifi card to connect to the router.

Apr 12, 2022
I know nothing about the setup of that device but it all depends on why you mean "network".

A pc can have both a ethernet and wifi connection at the same time. It will though not use both it will use the ethernet and then if that were to be unplugged it will switch to the wifi.

Every thing should be on the same "IP NETWORK" that connects to your router so you only have 1 network.

The exception to this is if that device is doing something strange like attempting to directly connect to the pc wifi. You would then have 2 networks one going to the router from the pc and the other between the device and the pc. If that device directly connects to the pc wifi rather than the router wifi you likely must make setting changes in the pc wifi so it does not use the wifi card to connect to the router.
I mean I understand that bit, but my Oculus is telling me that my PC is on a 2.4GHz frequency which makes no sense because my PC is using ethernet

It might just be a name. I know I have seen microsoft file sharing show a wifi network name even though all the traffic was running on the ethernet. The remote device can't actually tell how your pc is really connected. It only talks to the router and the router then sends the traffic to your PC. The traffic does not directly pass between devices which is why it works when you have a mix of devices on 2.4,5 and ethernet.

It should not be hard to test just disable the wifi interface in the pc. You then know no traffic can pass over the wifi. The name might not change, not sure I never spent to the time to see where this name gets set. I always use ip addresses

Solution