PC sometimes boots to windows, sometimes to bios, sometimes to Startup repair

drojman

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Hey all,

Hopefully this is the right place, I assume it's something to do with my mobo.

Basically when I turn on my pc, sometimes it will boot to the bios screen. If I go to look at what HDDs are connected my SSD doesn't show. If I reboot, sometimes it'll boot straight into windows just fine. Any some other times it'll go to Windows repair, which again, just by rebooting will fix it. There's no common pattern though, sometimes it'll boot straight to Windows, sometimes it'll take 3-4 tries.

Once Windows has booted I have no issues. No crashes or anything. The SSD is new, although I believe it did it with an older one I had too, although I'm not totally sure on that.

Any suggestions as to what might be up? I updated my bios but no difference, and also checked cables are secure/used different sata cables.

Here's my rig btw:

295x2
Maximus Hero VII
12GB of Corsair RAM, don't know exact name.
i7 4790K
100GB OCZ SSD
1 TB HDD

Any help would be really appreciated.

it could be a lot of things.

first thing is first. take the whole system out of your case, and breadboard it.

as i said the symptoms are that of a grounding/shorting issue. so you're going to break the system down. check EVERYTHING for signs of damage, dirt or stains. if you find dirt or stains clean it off with 90%+ rubbing alchohol and cue tips. Check for bad caps, burn marks, look for loose wires (all wires should be secure in the molex plugs, if they twist or move they're loose. Check for the spacers in the case for your motherboard. make sure the motherboard was put into the case right, and no spacers were out of place.

when testing the system break it down to the bare bones min equipment necessary to get it to boot.

drojman

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
It's a superflower 1300w. Thing is sometimes I'll boot my PC its fine and sometimes I have to restart it to get past the BIOS. Once booted you wouldn't know anything is wrong with it, it works perfectly.

As i said. this type of error is usually indicative of a power issue (short, bad power supply, lose wire, dirt/dust causing a shoting issue, misplaced motherboard spacers, loose screw touching the back of the motherboard to the case, motherboard resting on an antistatic bag) or a hardware issue (bad motherboard, power switches on your cpu case, light leds on the cpu case, or some other component... not necessarily the SSD, though it could be bad too)

Because the suspected cause list is so HUGE with a power issue, you need to break the system down and troubleshoot one component at a time.

mickjay67

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

Sorry to resurrect the thread but I was having the same problem and after some searching found the directkey setting in Asus bios can also cause this issue so that may be a good place for others to start in the future.