[SOLVED] PC sometimes crashes with loud buzzing noise. Please help!

May 7, 2020
Sometimes when I'm playing my left screen turns green and everything freezes. My right screen just turns black. Then a loud buzzing comes from my speaker.

I have the latest drivers installed for my GPU.

Specs:
AMD 5700 XT
Inter i5-9600K
16GB RAM

Solution
As I wrote earlier, monitors always locking up the same way seems to indicate a GPU problem since CPU/MoBo/RAM problems are extremely unlikely to cause a repeatable monitor output issue. Remove the GPU to rule it out as a possible cause and use the IGP, see if you still get crashes.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Do you also have the latest motherboard chipset drivers from the motherboard/downloads website? Windows updates can mess with those, especially audio and Lan, but include pcie, USB, Sata etc.

What were the gpu temps before the crash? Are the fans on the gpu working to correct speeds? Is the heatsink clean or full of dust? Not just the fan itself. Almost all gpus only have 1 temp sensor, on the processor itself, but artifacts like this can occur when the vRam or VRM's on the card overheat, which won't be seen by the gpu.

You can also try undervolting the gpu slightly or underclocking the speeds/memory using msi Afterburner or Evga precision-x etc. If that fixes the issue, you can be certain the card is defective.

The 5700/XT has had issues like this, amd has supposedly issued a fix in the recent drivers package, but there's still no guarantee its 100% cured.

May 7, 2020
Do you also have the latest motherboard chipset drivers from the motherboard/downloads website? Windows updates can mess with those, especially audio and Lan, but include pcie, USB, Sata etc.

What were the gpu temps before the crash? Are the fans on the gpu working to correct speeds? Is the heatsink clean or full of dust? Not just the fan itself. Almost all gpus only have 1 temp sensor, on the processor itself, but artifacts like this can occur when the vRam or VRM's on the card overheat, which won't be seen by the gpu.

You can also try undervolting the gpu slightly or underclocking the speeds/memory using msi Afterburner or Evga precision-x etc. If that fixes the issue, you can be certain the card is defective.

The 5700/XT has had issues like this, amd has supposedly issued a fix in the recent drivers package, but there's still no guarantee its 100% cured.

The temps of the GPU are fine, I have checked those. My PC is fairly new so there is no dust anywhere as I keep it very clean. I will look chipset drivers now. Thanks for your response!

InvalidError

Titan
If it is always the same monitor that glitches out when the PC crashes, I'd suspect a GPU problem since a typical CPU/MoBo/RAM crash wouldn't affect any specific monitor output, they'd just be frozen on whatever was last displayed until the system gets rebooted or shut down.

GPU stability issues can be caused by a bad or otherwise problematic PSU.

May 7, 2020
If it is always the same monitor that glitches out when the PC crashes, I'd suspect a GPU problem since a typical CPU/MoBo/RAM crash wouldn't affect any specific monitor output, they'd just be frozen on whatever was last displayed until the system gets rebooted or shut down.

GPU stability issues can be caused by a bad or otherwise problematic PSU.

Yes it is always my left one. I also want to add that for some reason discord sometimes says it detected new audio devices while I did not change anything. I also noticed that COD: Warzone sometimes told me my PC had changed since that last time I played, but I did not change anything.

Do you maybe know if this has anything to do with eachother?

InvalidError

Titan
Software randomly detecting hardware changes when you haven't changed anything would indicate that one or more devices are dropping out and coming back. For Discord nagging you about audio devices, if you are using a USB head set, it could be that the heat set or USB port/hub it is connected to is having issues. As before, a sufficiently bad PSU could be causing more sensitive USB devices to act out too. Devices acting up for whatever reasons could be detected as hardware changes by COD too.

May 7, 2020
Software randomly detecting hardware changes when you haven't changed anything would indicate that one or more devices are dropping out and coming back. For Discord nagging you about audio devices, if you are using a USB head set, it could be that the heat set or USB port/hub it is connected to is having issues. As before, a sufficiently bad PSU could be causing more sensitive USB devices to act out too. Devices acting up for whatever reasons could be detected as hardware changes by COD too.

I am not using a headset with USB though. I use the pink and green jetplugs. (I think that is what they are called). Can it be the PSU that is making me have al these problems, or is it a mix of the PSU and the GPU?

InvalidError

Titan
I am not using a headset with USB though. I use the pink and green jetplugs. (I think that is what they are called). Can it be the PSU that is making me have al these problems, or is it a mix of the PSU and the GPU?
Any other device with microphone capability such as a webcam will cause Discord to nag you about changing your audio input device.

From memory, the Corsair VS are on par for being among the worst PSUs under the Corsair brand along with the pre-2017 CX models, so that could certainly be an issue and worth replacing with a higher quality model.

May 7, 2020
Hi guys,

A little time has passed and the pc kept crashing. I bought a new PSU, did not help. Still my left screen goes green, and my right screen goes black. Then the loud buzz comes again. I did the hard reset with the battery on the motherboard, I reinstalled all the drivers all over again for the motherboard aswell as the GPU. I reset the BIOS to default to get rid of the CPU overclock. I honestly dont know what to do anymore..

InvalidError

Titan
As I wrote earlier, monitors always locking up the same way seems to indicate a GPU problem since CPU/MoBo/RAM problems are extremely unlikely to cause a repeatable monitor output issue. Remove the GPU to rule it out as a possible cause and use the IGP, see if you still get crashes.

Solution