[SOLVED] PC sometimes freezes at motherboard ROG screen when booting

Aug 22, 2019
Hello,
Motherboard: Asus rog strix z390 e-gaming
RAM: Trident Z RGB
DDR4-3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 1.35V
16GB (2x8GB)
I bought an assembled PC and noticed that in BIOS my ram speed was set to auto and running at slower speed than the stock (2666 MHZ instead of 3200). After I manually set it to 3200, I noticed that when I boot my computer, it freezes at motherboard ROG screen and I have to shut it down and boot it again for it to work. What would be the cause of this? Shouldn't the RAM also be running as standard at the highest speed without me having to manually set it to the max?

Edit: not sure if relevant but the other specs are:
CPU: Intel I7 9700k
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080S A8G
SSD: Samsung Evo 970 Pro 512gb
HDD: None

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
enable xmp is risk free (overclock provided from manufacturer)...but its not guaranteed that it will work, sometimes u have to do some slight timings changes to hit advertised speeds
In order to OC the ram , three elements will all be OC'd at the same time. The RAM, the MOBO and the CPU's memory controller.

The MOBO shouldn't be a problem, it's all about signal integrity, which should become an issue until you hit very high speeds.
The RAM can do it, obviously.
But can the memory controller? The CPU supports 2666 out of the box. https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...9900k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

Reactions: mihnead
Aug 22, 2019
In order to OC the ram , three elements will all be OC'd at the same time. The RAM, the MOBO and the CPU's memory controller.

The MOBO shouldn't be a problem, it's all about signal integrity, which should become an issue until you hit very high speeds.
The RAM can do it, obviously.
But can the memory controller? The CPU supports 2666 out of the box. https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...9900k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html
Ah I see, so I shouldn't have manually set my RAM to 3200 without first OC-ing the processor as well, right? I don't want to put too much effort on the processor since I don't require it, I'd just like to increase it enough for the RAM to comfortably and properly work at 3200mhz, do you happen to have any tips on how to find out that desired spot?

Did you
Ah I see, so I shouldn't have manually set my RAM to 3200 without first OC-ing the processor as well, right? I don't want to put too much effort on the processor since I don't require it, I'd just like to increase it enough for the RAM to comfortably and properly work at 3200mhz, do you happen to have any tips on how to find out that desired spot?
did you just change the frequency or did you enable XMP?

Reactions: 13thmonkey
Aug 22, 2019
Did you

did you just change the frequency or did you enable XMP?
I just changed the frequency. Yes, I've realized that it was not the proper way to do it. Hopefully, I didn't do any damage to the pc or any components, right? What's the best approach to have 3200 in a stable and risk-free manner?