Question PC sometimes lagging until multiple reboots after installing nvidia drivers

BluTF2

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
I have this problem where sometimes when I start my pc it performs really poorly like you hear audio cracking as soon as you boot into your desktop, the cursor lags when you open chrome and it lags and cracks when you play youtube videos even. When this happens I reboot my pc and then if you are lucky the problem is gone

I've had this lag problem for like 3 years and the only components I haven't switched out are my psu, mobo and cpu so I'm guessing it could be one of those (note however that I've completely unplugged all my components multiple times and installed new drivers). Although I noticed some time ago that it might be my nivida drivers causing the issue because when I was reinstalling windows one time and I didnt have any drivers I didn't experience the issue. So I don't know how the hardware and drivers interract but I'm guessing the issue has something to do with how my gpu interacts with the mobo and or cpu somehow.

Anyhow I would like to know if theres a way I could actually confirm what the problem is or anything that could give me a clue on what to do. If I have to buy new mobo and cpu that's fine but I'd like to know what the isse is before so I don't end up with the same problems. I've tried using different nvidia drivers but I have no idea how I could determine which one would be better.

My specs:
i7 4790k
gtx 1080 msi gaming x
gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
32 gb corsair vengeance ddr3
500gb ssd w/ windows 10 home
240gb ssd
2tb hdd
corsair gs700 psu

edit: I reinstalled windows yesterday and I have only installed 1 driver for my mobo. So I can confirm I have not had this lag yet since I have not installed any nvidia drivers.
edit 2: installed nvidia drivers now using geforce experience and im lagging like hell even when just opening a few tabs on chrome.
edit 3: my cpu usage seems unusually high even when just having some chrome tabs open when this lag occurs:
View: https://imgur.com/a/b5hEkmq
(screenshots)
As you can see: system, "window handler for desktop", explorer and system interrupt is using quite a bit of my cpu, I'm no expert but this doesnt seems normal, but on the other hand I don't see how the nvidia drivers could cause this.

Any help is greatly appreciated, Willing to cough up 30 dollars if someone knows a fix

Last edited: