Question PC sometimes not even trying to boot unless Power and Battery are removed ?

Hakairo

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
So I observed a strange behavior 2 times now and I am unsure what to make out of it, since I have never seen or heard of something like this. So I will simply drop down a description of what happens and below it some infos about my system even though some of them may not be relevant. Maybe someone hear has witnessed something like this and can explain it.

So first of all I have to preface this with the fact, that I encountered in fact 2 weird behaviors. Even though the first one is not a problem and is "solved" quite easily, I still get the feeling that this may be connected, so I will mention it anyways and in chronological Order.

Already some minor random facts before going into the story: I use Windows 11, I ususally put my PC in Hibernate instead of turning it off. I use the power button on my case to shut it down or put it in hibernate. My PC is always connected to power even if its off over night. Therefore an LED on my Motherboard is always on. Over night I have my headset, controller and sometimes mouse connected to charge them.

After switching to Windows 11 at the beginning of the Year, I also wanted to be a bit more secure. On my old Windows installation basically no security feature was enabled. So I basically enabled everything Windows offers. Some months later I encountered crashes in one game and only that game. I googled around and you know this. If you want your favorite game to work, you try every little <Mod Edit>. One of these things I tried was disabling the "Core Isolation". I was reading that I should reboot for this to take effect. This was when the first weird behavior began and I played around with this a few more times to make sure it was related to Core Isolation. Once Core Isolation is disabled and I shut down my PC, my screen goes black, light of the keyboard goes off but below my table is still light from the small RGB on my GPU. It seems that Windows was shut down but my PC not turned off completely. Fans were still spinning and pressing the power button did nothing. Removing power or pressing the reset button just restarted my PC and windows loaded. Since I used Hibernate I could see that Windows did not correctly put it in hibernate or reload it correctly because open programs were closed and event viewer mentioned a sudden powerloss. I did find this strange but did not bother with it, since I just enabled Core Isolation and it was fine.

Again some months later I did as usual. Pressed on the power button of my PC, it sarts going into hibernate, I turn off headset and displays and go to bed. The next morning I do as usual. Press the power button on my PC. I am usually bend over my PC when doing this so I not only hear the elctronics and fans but also see that my GPU RGB goes on and the status LED of my Motherboard switching. But on that day I pressed the Power Button and literally nothing happened. No fan spin, no status LED switching not even this electronic noise you sometimes can hear. Literally nothing. Due to the fact that my motherboard has a little bit of RGB which is on as long as power is connected, I could tell that there is power. Anyway I unplugged power and waited a few moments, plugged it back in. No change. I checked the cable of the power button to see if they are connected properly. On my case its hard to acces the side where the power button is but it looked all extremely good, cable on motherboard was good, but no boot. Using the reset button did also nothing. Sadly MB has no button on its own to test further. So since I had no clue whats going and got a little bit panic, I just removed the battery for the BIOS and placed in a new one. Now it worked again. I lost all my settings in the motherboard so I had to re-enable resizable bar, XMP and my CPU undervolt but after that my PC started normally and even loaded the hibernated status. I also put my PC into hibernate multiple times after that to see if it still works. It worked and the following days, pressing on the home button always felt like gambling. But it was fine...

...until today. Roughly 3 weeks, I had no problem at all. No crashes, no shutdown or boot problems. Until I now press on the power button and again nothing happens. So I quickly open up my case, remove and re-insert the battery, which takes longer than you might think thanks to my big GPU directly above it... Anyways. After re-entering the battery it boots, I do my BIOS stuff and now I am back. But the fact that this happened twice now brings me here to seek for any ideas or help. Currently this is not a big problem. An annoying one but nothing which brings to replace expensive parts or anything if I do not have any clue.

And thats basically the story. Below some more Hardware facts:

MB: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K
GPU: ASUS TUF RTX 3080 V2 OC LHR
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
NVME SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
SATA SSD: Samsung 850 Pro MZ-7KE512BW 512 GB
SATA HDD: some random old HDD which I can not even tell you any details about

feel free to ask anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
How old is the PSU in your build?

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

?? You try disconnecting them from your build to see if that alleviates the issue?

As for your build, do you get any mild tingling sensation when you make contact with the steel/metal part of your chassis and your feet are making contact with a bare, non-carpeted, non-tiled, floor?

Hakairo

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
How old is the PSU in your build?

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

?? You try disconnecting them from your build to see if that alleviates the issue?

As for your build, do you get any mild tingling sensation when you make contact with the steel/metal part of your chassis and your feet are making contact with a bare, non-carpeted, non-tiled, floor?

PSU is roughly 2 years old. I also have to correct that it is a 850W version, not 750W. Almost all parts are 2 years old except the HDD which is older (maybe 4?) and GPU is just a few months old.

BIOS Version is 2601, which is the most recent one.

I did not try to disconnect the HDD while the PC did not want to boot. Since this just happened the second time after about 3 weeks I also did not unplug it since it is hard to say when unpluggin it could be seen as success. Especially since I use the data on it from time to time.

Touching the case as you described does nothing like that to me.

Lutfij

Titan
A BIOS reset when the system refuses to power up is an indication that your platform is suffering from a grounding issue, either that or your BIOS chip is faulty. I should add that a wooden floor won't produce any reaction with what I've asked you do, since wood would be an insulator(a bare floor would bridge the connection to ground, thus a tingling or a shock down your hand/fingers).

Hakairo

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
A BIOS reset when the system refuses to power up is an indication that your platform is suffering from a grounding issue, either that or your BIOS chip is faulty. I should add that a wooden floor won't produce any reaction with what I've asked you do, since wood would be an insulator(a bare floor would bridge the connection to ground, thus a tingling or a shock down your hand/fingers).

Not sure if I can totally follow you. Isn't the BIOS Reset mainly happening because I remove the Battery or do I have a wrong understanding here? Also wouldn't that affect the RBG on the motherboard as well if it were a grounding issue?

Sadly all floors here are wodden floors besides kitchen and bathroom, so yeah that test was of course not helpful. So I would need to bring it there and plug it in in one of those rooms and check again, once I find the time to do so.