Question PC Sometimes stuck at VGA ?

reio

Prominent
Oct 20, 2021
Sometimes when I boot the pc, it gets stuck at VGA
When it gets stuck, restarting the pc will fix it.
But getting stuck in the first place is normal.

It generally happens 1 out of 5 restarts.
I do have 2 monitors, one (main), that's connecting via HDMI, and other one what's connecting to the DisplayPort, via a HDMI-> DisplayPort adapter.

Specs:
Gigabyte GTX 1650 OC
AMD Ryzen 3 3200g
2 x 8gb G.SKILL 3200mhz
ASROCK x570 Phantom gaming 4 (overkill, I know, planning to upgrade)
Western Digital SSD - 480gb
some random old HDD - 1tb

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming, video work, or bit-mining?

This:

"Sometimes when I boot the pc, it gets stuck at VGA "

I do not understand "stuck at VGA" - is that happening during POST?

Are you able to take a photograph of the relevant screen(s) and post the photograph here via imgur (www.imgur.com)?

One possibility is that something is a bit loose but once warmed up during the first boot attempt then expands and makes full contact. All works thereafter....

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. (Internal and external.)

= = = =

After the next successful boot look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event that occurred just before or at the time of the VGA problem.

reio

Prominent
Oct 20, 2021
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming, video work, or bit-mining?

This:

"Sometimes when I boot the pc, it gets stuck at VGA "

I do not understand "stuck at VGA" - is that happening during POST?

Are you able to take a photograph of the relevant screen(s) and post the photograph here via imgur (www.imgur.com)?

One possibility is that something is a bit loose but once warmed up during the first boot attempt then expands and makes full contact. All works thereafter....

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. (Internal and external.)

= = = =

After the next successful boot look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event that occurred just before or at the time of the VGA problem.

Sorry for a late reply, I'll answer your questions.
PC was cleaned like 2 weeks ago, yes, it happens during POST.
This is what I'm seeing: https://preview.redd.it/yzkifko7e8g...bp&s=f831970efd9a432c833820eadc84d59d6cd9aafc (Took from google, basically the same thing, the ASROCK screen wont go away.)

I don't think it could be a connection problem , since how does it magically reconnect after a restart?
Could it possibly be because of the HDMI -> DisplayPort adapter, or the fact that I'm using a old tv as a second monitor?

Ralston18

Titan
Anything in Reliability History and/or Event Viewer?

Adapters are often "iffy" in many ways: poor design, sub-standard materials and components, assembly/construction at factory. Swap in another known working adapter. Likewise for any cables being used. Just change only one thing at a time.

Regarding magical restarts such things can happen. For example something could be a bit loose causing the failure. However, during that process things warm up, expand, and make better contact. Then the device works. Cools down later when off, then repeats again at the next start.

Go for a few days without the old TV as a second monitor. Or try another known working TV or monitor in its' place.

Another thought: go into BIOS and set the POST process to Verbose. What that will do is allow the POST process to display what it is doing or trying to do.

Just being able to watch POST may identify some culprit or otherwise provide a clue. Verbose makes the POST process longer but once the problem is resolved, you can turn off/disable Verbose.

Any Dr. Debug error codes?

reio

Prominent
Oct 20, 2021
Anything in Reliability History and/or Event Viewer?

Adapters are often "iffy" in many ways: poor design, sub-standard materials and components, assembly/construction at factory. Swap in another known working adapter. Likewise for any cables being used. Just change only one thing at a time.

Regarding magical restarts such things can happen. For example something could be a bit loose causing the failure. However, during that process things warm up, expand, and make better contact. Then the device works. Cools down later when off, then repeats again at the next start.

Go for a few days without the old TV as a second monitor. Or try another known working TV or monitor in its' place.

Another thought: go into BIOS and set the POST process to Verbose. What that will do is allow the POST process to display what it is doing or trying to do.

Just being able to watch POST may identify some culprit or otherwise provide a clue. Verbose makes the POST process longer but once the problem is resolved, you can turn off/disable Verbose.

Any Dr. Debug error codes?

My motherboard (ASROCK x570 Phantom Gaming 4) does not have a Dr. Debug.
Only the 4 red lights, which is called a post status checker if I remember correctly.

I also could not find anything about setting the post process to verbose.
I'll try going without the old TV, thanks.

reio

Prominent
Oct 20, 2021
My motherboard (ASROCK x570 Phantom Gaming 4) does not have a Dr. Debug.
Only the 4 red lights, which is called a post status checker if I remember correctly.

I also could not find anything about setting the post process to verbose.
I'll try going without the old TV, thanks.
It was not the adapter, unplugged it, and still happened.