joe.bailey1

Commendable
Jan 8, 2019
PC Sounds like its turning on, but then whirrs as if it repeatedly tries something. No video input detected from monitor.

Specs:

GTX 980-ti (bought used 4 months ago)
i5-8400 (2-3 years old)
ASRock z370 pro4 (2-3 years old)
HyperX Fury 2*8gb (2years old)
Corsair TX-650M (1 year old)
1TB WB (5 years old)
Sandisk 240gb SSD (6 months old)

About 8 months ago my computer started getting the 'no video input' error when I had my old GTX-970, that GPU eventually died and I bought a used 980-ti. Since then it has been fine, but last night when I turned off my PC I immediately noticed something as it turned off. When I checked it by turning it back on I got the 'no video input detected' error once again.

Worryingly though none of the solutions that used to work during the 4month period where I had that 970 and it would give this error every few weeks are working now. I used to be able to fix it pretty easily by removing the CMOS, sometimes having to also reinstall the RAM, however I have just tried clearing the CMOS and removing the ram but the PC is making this funny 'whirring' sound as I turn it on and the monitor says 'no video input detected'.

I tried doing the above with peripherals plugged in and with them not plugged in, though no peripheral was getting power from the PC either way (e.g caps lock would not turn the green caps lock light on). I have also tried to remove the graphics card and plug the HDMI into the integrated CPU graphics slot and even that is outputting no video input, which worries me immensely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
If you're having to reset the BIOS with the CMOS battery removal or even ram reseat, to me, it seems like you're having a power issue. It's either that you have a grounding issue or that your PSU is getting to that point where it can't deliver all the power your system needs. You could try and relocate the system to another wall socket, then see if sourcing a donor PSU that's reliably built like your Corsair unit(from a friend or neighbor) helps the issue out.

Side note, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Version for your OS, assuming you're on Windows 10(you should be on 10 actually given your specs)?

joe.bailey1

Commendable
Jan 8, 2019
Specs:

GTX 980-ti (bought used 4 months ago)
i5-8400 (2-3 years old)
ASRock z370 pro4 (2-3 years old)
HyperX Fury 2*8gb (2years old)
Corsair TX-650M (1 year old)
1TB WB (5 years old)
Sandisk 240gb SSD (6 months old)

About 8 months ago my computer started getting the 'no video input' error when I had my old GTX-970, that GPU eventually died and I bought a used 980-ti. Since then it has been fine, but last night when I turned off my PC I immediately noticed something as it turned off. When I checked it by turning it back on I got the 'no video input detected' error once again.

Worryingly though none of the solutions that used to work during the 4month period where I had that 970 and it would give this error every few weeks are working now. I used to be able to fix it pretty easily by removing the CMOS, sometimes having to also reinstall the RAM, however I have just tried clearing the CMOS and removing the ram but the PC is making this funny 'whirring' sound as I turn it on and the monitor says 'no video input detected'.

I tried doing the above with peripherals plugged in and with them not plugged in, though no peripheral was getting power from the PC either way (e.g caps lock would not turn the green caps lock light on). I have also tried to remove the graphics card and plug the HDMI into the integrated CPU graphics slot and even that is outputting no video input, which worries me immensely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
If you're having to reset the BIOS with the CMOS battery removal or even ram reseat, to me, it seems like you're having a power issue. It's either that you have a grounding issue or that your PSU is getting to that point where it can't deliver all the power your system needs. You could try and relocate the system to another wall socket, then see if sourcing a donor PSU that's reliably built like your Corsair unit(from a friend or neighbor) helps the issue out.

Side note, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Version for your OS, assuming you're on Windows 10(you should be on 10 actually given your specs)?

Solution

joe.bailey1

Commendable
Jan 8, 2019

A power issue does make sense, except surely the PC would struggle when I was playing video games when maximum power is being used? Also I just remove the GPU and it still won't work properly. What exactly do you mean by grounding issue?

I will try moving my system to a differnet socket and retry with minimal components by removing the SSD and 1 stick of ram and the GPU.

I don't know the BIOS version but it looks a lot like this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi8oXQL5Ff4

And yes I am using windows 10, thanks a lot for your assistance.