[SOLVED] PC speakers start buzzing without anything being played

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
We have several Dell Optiplex 3020 PCs w/integrated sound. Lately, several of the units have started to buzz for around 3-5 seconds even though no media is being played. We hope to replace these units next year (4GB RAM + 500GB HDD seems a titch insufficient). Any idea what's causing this?

Solution
D
Windows 7 is a lot older than three years. And the software vendor is not going to support it anymore for obvious reasons so it’s no way the same thing as a car. No software vendor would support windows eight either there’s no point

Just upgrade to windows 10 and be done with it

It makes little to no sense to support windows eight if you are a software producer like us because everybody’s moving to windows 10 and new server version. All those other operating systems are dead. I wish Microsoft would kill Windows 7 and not allow anybody to run it ever again and the same with windows eight not even allow it to be installed or activated.
They are far too lenient
Did several of those get this problem simoultaneously ?
In that case, I suspect it may be due to a Windows update.

Just a friendly advice: Those computers probably have several years left, before the components (harddrive, motherboard, power supply) begins to die, so I would feel bad if not telling (no kidding).

If you installing Linux (I know that Fedora Linux X64, Cinnamon runs very well on an old Optiplex 780) on those computers, you may even not need to buy new ones.

Disclaimer: Yes I know it takes resources (work hours to install/maintain), and no - Microsoft won't (never ever) make Office/Outlook to work on Linux (and all those classic things that following migration to Linux). But there are great alternatives avaiable.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did several of those get this problem simoultaneously ?
In that case, I suspect it may be due to a Windows update.

Just a friendly advice: Those computers probably have several years left, before the components (harddrive, motherboard, power supply) begins to die, so I would feel bad if not telling (no kidding).

If you installing Linux (I know that Fedora Linux X64, Cinnamon runs very well on an old Optiplex 780) on those computers, you may even not need to buy new ones.

Disclaimer: Yes I know it takes resources (work hours to install/maintain), and no - Microsoft won't (never ever) make Office/Outlook to work on Linux (and all those classic things that following migration to Linux). But there are great alternatives avaiable.
We're running Win7 Pro but may be FORCED to move to Win10 because another software vendor has told us they won't support their products on Win8 or earlier. I still it sux that I can still get service on a ten year vehicle but a three year old software is DOA.

D

Deleted member 14196

Windows 7 is a lot older than three years. And the software vendor is not going to support it anymore for obvious reasons so it’s no way the same thing as a car. No software vendor would support windows eight either there’s no point

Just upgrade to windows 10 and be done with it

It makes little to no sense to support windows eight if you are a software producer like us because everybody’s moving to windows 10 and new server version. All those other operating systems are dead. I wish Microsoft would kill Windows 7 and not allow anybody to run it ever again and the same with windows eight not even allow it to be installed or activated.
They are far too lenient

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The comparison to cars doesn't make sense. Why not compare it to ropes used by personel that clean windows in skyscrapers? You won't support use of old ropes, even if you can't see visible damages to it.

I'm agreed about the software vendor. They can't be blaimed for this - you won't support an OS that soon will become unsafe to use.
Supporting Windows XP is even more stupid.