PC specs for video editing workstation?

Sep 4, 2018
Hey everyone!
I'm currently looking to build a custom PC for video editing because my iMac isn't quite cutting it. I have 2 builds in mind but am completely new to what specs are important for fast live playback with effects added, and quick rendering. I use Premiere Pro CC and plan to use After effects also to edit 1080P and possibly down the line 4k footage. I was wondering if a CPU with more cores like the i7-7820x would outperform the i7-8700k which has less cores but is slightly faster. I know that a good GPU would be very beneficial from what I've read online so I'm also wondering what kind of difference i would see in getting a GTX1070 vs a GTX1080TI. I'm not planning on working with anything higher than 4k in the near future so wanting to get some input on the benefits i would see between the 2 CPU's and the 2 Graphic cards. Thanks!

Solution
the reason it run faster on 8700k on adobe is because mostly adobe cc favors instruction per cycle rather than core count, on premier cc AFAIK depends on DX12 library for most of its filters and effect, you can make fast storage such as intel 905p or samsung 970 pro as second priority after fast CPU, i7 8086k be the fastest cpu avail.

you can take advantage of fast gaming graphic card such as vega 64 or gtx 1080 for their massive hardware encode/decode, beside that if you on 4K monitor, you'll get more fluid workspace on premier cc, those cards comes with big video memory.

worth to try,
- order from build up seller such as pugetsystem.
- use thunderbolt gpu box + workstation grade laptop

what you need is strong multi-threaded cpu AND 8700k is single thread performance king. Its AMD domain and what you need to know:
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-TR-2950X/3937vsm569025

honkuimushi

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
Adobe seems to really like Intel and their igpu. If you have a few months before you upgrade and you're waffling between the HEDT and mainstream platforms, the i9 9900K might be what you're looking for.

Sep 4, 2018

I ran into the same conclusion that honkuimushi said that adobe has been running smoother on intel rather than amd from a lot of what I've read from user experience from people and on youtube.

dederedmi5plus

Prominent
Aug 17, 2018
the reason it run faster on 8700k on adobe is because mostly adobe cc favors instruction per cycle rather than core count, on premier cc AFAIK depends on DX12 library for most of its filters and effect, you can make fast storage such as intel 905p or samsung 970 pro as second priority after fast CPU, i7 8086k be the fastest cpu avail.

you can take advantage of fast gaming graphic card such as vega 64 or gtx 1080 for their massive hardware encode/decode, beside that if you on 4K monitor, you'll get more fluid workspace on premier cc, those cards comes with big video memory.

worth to try,
- order from build up seller such as pugetsystem.
- use thunderbolt gpu box + workstation grade laptop

Solution

dederedmi5plus

Prominent
Aug 17, 2018
sure there's extra "assembling" fee if you order from build up seller, compensation is at "warranty", for those who had RMA troublesome, getting a working shipped build worth whole lot more then figuring compatibility between parts. From my "investment return" perspective, opting between intel Z370 to intel X299 core X or AMD X399 2nd Gen Threadripper is obvious, assuming use similar RAM + storage + graphic card.

No I'm not pugetsystem salesman or trying to buy certain part, lastly you should choose nvidia card at make the most of https://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe-premiere-pro-cc.html