Question PC started crashing repeatedly on startup, now won’t boot at all.

Apr 5, 2023
Hi

my current set up is as follows:
  • Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Edge Wifi
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • GPU: MSI RX5600XT OC
  • PSU Corsair RM650
  • 32GB Ram
  • Crucial SSD 1TB
I’ve had this since the start of 2021 with very few issues until recently. Following a few driver updates I started having issues where the computer would restart several times before booting, then the occasional BSOD.
I’ve had this since the start of 2021 with very few issues until recently. Following a few driver updates I started having issues where the computer would restart several times before booting, then the occasional BSOD.
I rolled back drivers and reinstalled windows to try and correct the problem, but it only got worse, culminating in a PC that now won’t boot at all.

The debug LEDs on the motherboard were showing both CPU and VGA at one point. I tried taking things apart and checking that power cables were correctly seated etc, and managed to get it to boot once, and then it went back to not booting. I’ve replaced the PSU, and reset the CMOS, and now have an issue where the CPU LED lights up for a few seconds when I press the power button, before moving to a solid VGA LED instead. Nothing comes up on the monitor during this time.

My next guess is that my GPU has probably died, but I’m way out of my depth here, so I’d appreciate any advice, or anything I can try before I have to source another one.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023
Have you tried running Memtest86 on each stick? Can you get into the BIOS?

Memtest86
Unfortunately I can’t get into anything. The debug LEDs illuminate and that’s about it. Blank screen.

Potentially worth mentioning that before the PC went down, during the crashing issues, CPUID was recognising the RAM, and I had tried switching and reseating the sticks in case that was causing an issue.

Apr 5, 2023
Can you either borrow a friend's GPU or have a friend test your GPU? Your PSU is a pretty good one so I'd suspect the GPU before it.
I’ve asked one of my few friends with a gaming PC to test it over the weekend, although I’m considering seeing if a computer repair shop would be able to test it quicker than that.

I’ve also tested with a different PSU today so I was reasonably sure it’s not the problem.

Reactions: rickypicky5

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Hi

my current set up is as follows:
  • Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Edge Wifi
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • GPU: MSI RX5600XT OC
  • PSU Corsair RM650
  • 32GB Ram
  • Crucial SSD 1TB
I rolled back drivers and reinstalled windows to try and correct the problem, but it only got worse, culminating in a PC that now won’t boot at all.

The debug LEDs on the motherboard were showing both CPU and VGA at one point. I tried taking things apart and checking that power cables were correctly seated etc, and managed to get it to boot once, and then it went back to not booting. I’ve replaced the PSU, and reset the CMOS, and now have an issue where the CPU LED lights up for a few seconds when I press the power button, before moving to a solid VGA LED instead. Nothing comes up on the monitor during this time.

My next guess is that my GPU has probably died, but I’m way out of my depth here, so I’d appreciate any advice, or anything I can try before I have to source another one.
IF you suspect your Graphics board, then remove it and use the one integrated on the motherboard. That would tend to eliminate it as a problem.
DaleH

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Unfortunately, there isn't integrated graphics on his CPU.
Correct. I think you meant motherboard, not CPU. Then the only way to confirm that the GPU is causing the problem would be to substitute with another one. A cheap one would probably do just fine. I suspect that if you took it to a shop for repairs, this would be one of their first steps/
DaleH

Apr 5, 2023
Correct. I think you meant motherboard, not CPU. Then the only way to confirm that the GPU is causing the problem would be to substitute with another one. A cheap one would probably do just fine. I suspect that if you took it to a shop for repairs, this would be one of their first steps/
DaleH

A quick look suggests there’s a lot of very cheap GPUs available online. Are there any compatibility issues I need to be aware of? Otherwise it’s probably not a terrible idea for me to have a cheap test GPU at home.

DaleH
Actually, I meant CPU. Motherboards that have their own integrated graphics hasn't been a thing for at least 10 years and I didn't think it was worth mentioning.

Reactions: H0PEL355
Apr 5, 2023
Update: I haven’t managed to get the original GPU checked yet, but I’ve put another GPU in and it still won’t start, and still shows the VGA LED when I attempt to. Does anyone have any idea?

EDIT:
For some reason, when I put my 5600xt GPU in, both the VGA and CPU LEDs are lit. When I swapped it out for a cheap Nvidia GT730 only the VGA LED was lit.
A bit of Googling suggests that the B550 boards can be temperamental, and a BIOS update might be a fix. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023
So the failure to POST weirdly enough turned out to be something to do with a failed SSD. On changing it, I could immediately reinstall windows and it would work again.

I am still having issues with windows crashing repeatedly on boot though. I’ve tried rolling back updates, resetting, changing drivers. I have no idea what the problem is. Any ideas?

Apr 5, 2023
Update: Dragon Center/MSI center aren’t solely responsible for the problem, but they do seem to have a significant contribution. When they’re not installed, the problem is intermittent; when they are, it’s a matter of a number of reboots every time before maybe getting in.

The PC will boot in safe mode no problem, and once I do eventually get a successful boot, it seems to work no problem, so I’m assuming it has something to do with my BIOS/the effect those programs have on it.. but I’m beyond my level of knowledge so any advice would be appreciated.