Question PC started having issues today at random.

adampd

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Hi all, my trusty gaming pc suddenly started having what appear to be hardware issues today, out of the blue

I've had it now for about 6 years and it's had infrequent minor upgrades like SSD's etc

Spec is -
GA-X99-SLI
Intel i7-5820k
16gb of Ram
Nvidia GTX 970
Windows 10
Samsung 850 Pro 1tb
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb

The only minor issue/concern i've had up until recently is Windows identifies my 1tb Samsung pro as a 256gb drive, but it's not a fake ssd, as it's over half full and magician says it's genuine.

Today when just casually working and not doing anything intense, the pc just restarted (As if I'd hit a reset button)
It booted up and was a little sluggish for a few minutes, but then worked fine for a few hours
Then about 20 minutes ago, I had a 3d game minimized and a youtube video playing and the monitor went into standby, the music video and game were still running in the background, as I could hear the music from youtube and the background drone in the space game I was playing
I tried alt+tabbing, alt+f4 to try and close apps, but nothing
So I ended up having to hit the power button to soft shut down.
I've just installed the latest nvidia drivers just incase, but i can't think of a reason why it's suddenly acting up.
Any thoughts?

adampd

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Thanks for getting back to me.

PSU is a Coolermaster 700w Silent Pro.

Temperatures for the CPU under load have always been good, the max they peak at with 100% usage is 58C (51-59 across the cores)
I did a quick OCCT CPU test for 5 minutes and the temps peaked at 59 in total.
GPU without load is around 56c, I haven't yet tested that under load, i'll do that here in a second.

I thought the problem might be a specific new Early access game I'm playing, but it did the same thing when playing Rimworld, then after I rebooted, just before the Windows login box pops up, the screen turned off again.

adampd

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
I think the issue might be driver related, as I checked the windows error log and it shows this at the time of the monitor going into standby:

3 entries:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
Display driver failed to start; using Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead. Check Windows Update for a newer display driver.

I did update the nvidia drivers a week ago, maybe slightly less, and used DDU to remove the existing ones.

So I removed the nvidia drivers and let Windows update install drivers instead, just to see what happens, so far, after about an hours use, no crashes.

I ran a quick GPU / PSU test in OCCT and no crash, temps for the GPU were from 55-61C

adampd

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Well, things just went downhill fast. Tried a different driver version, logged into a 3d game, monitor goes off, sound stutters a bit, then nothing.
Turned the PC off, waited 10 seconds, turned it on, still no display.
The PC no longer posts, but does stay on, i tried a different PSU (a much better brand/higher wattage), still nothing.
I moved the gpu into the 2nd PCI E slot, nothing
I removed the card and turned the PC on and the PC actually boots up normally in the background.
So I assume the card has died?