PC started shutting down upon firing up a game

soimbra

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017
As the title describes, I turned my computer on today and something that I've never had happen before started to happen. Every game immediately crashed my computer the moment I turned it on (within 3 to 10 seconds).
I ran a CPU/RAM benchmark and it came out without a problem but when I ran a GPU benchmark my PC crashed instantly.
When I was looking up the problem most threads suggested the PSU was at fault and that's what I want to know.
My PSU is likely terrible quality, it's from an unknown brand "Halfmman" however it does have more than enough power for my system (750W, and from some forum threads I looked up about the PSU, it definitely holds up).
One problem with the PSU though, was that when I upgraded to my new GPU (to an RX580) a month back I noticed the PSU only has a 6pin PCI-e when my card required an 8pin, but since my CPU was bottlenecking my GPU so hard my GPU barely ever required more than 50~75W so that wasn't a problem.
The PSU is also very old so I was lead to believe the PSU had to be the problem, however, I swapped back to my old GPU (a GTX750 Ti, only requires a 6pin) and the problem seems to have disappeared (have been gaming for an hour without a problem, will report back if I crash at any point)
Mind you, the new GPU had been running fine for over a month and only today, once I woke up, for apparently no reason (computer was shut down the whole night while I slept) did the problem show up.

P.S. I tried uninstalling and updating my GPU drivers to no avail.
I do not overclock and my temperatures are low (30~40 GPU and 40~55 CPU)

My question is:
Is the problem the PSU or is it possible that the GPU is at fault?
I'd like to know because I'm running on a very tight budget and right now I need to upgrade my CPU+Mobo+RAM which is an expensive upgrade and having to buy a new PSU on top would delay the upgrade by another few months

My specs:
i3-3220
RX 580 (GPU that crashes)
GTX750 Ti (GPU that hasn't crashed yet)
5GB DDR3 RAM
B75MA-P45 Mobo
Win10 64 bit

Thank you in advance!

Whats your psu (model,...)?

I am 99+% confident your PSU-shaped object is the problem. You need a quality 550W unit for your system, and it looks like you've got a no-name with a liar-label slapped on it. If it were me, I'd choose a Seasonic Focus or Focus Plus. Until then, stick to your GTX750Ti. As it overloads and crashes your system, there's no telling what irregular voltages are being passed to your components, which may eventually kill something.

This one?
PSU750W_DETAILS.fw_.png

soimbra

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017

No, it's not that one, that's one of their other models, mine is just a "700W" model

Every 700w version I could find looks like a garbage psu that will fry your system. It simply can't supply enough power to your rx 580 and thats why your pc crashes.

soimbra

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017
Thanks for the answers guys, I'll get a new PSU, the reason I was wondering is because I've been using this PSU for some years and it hasn't been an issue and even after installing the new GPU it wasn't an issue for 1~2 months so that's why I wasn't sure if it was the PSU or the GPU at fault