Question PC started to make electrical buzzing sound?

gamer666

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Hey.

My pc has started to make weird electrical buzzing sounds when under load in games. It sounds like capacitor squeal like this vid, but allot louder. coming from the PSU.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4d23F2jehQ

Since this sound started in the PSU my graphics card now has loud coil whine when in 3d applications.

The pc was was not making any noise before this started a few days ago. PSU and GPU only about 4 months old.

My PSU and GPU are still under warranty would i be able to return them because if this defect?

Gigabyte aorus gaming 7
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc (stock)
Corsair HX750i
Intel i7-8700k (stock)
16 ddr4 @3000 trident z

Last edited:

gamer666

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Your printed specs list a Corsair HX750i PSU.

The video shows a Corsair HX520

What is the total system wattage?

Total up the wattage requirements of all components and add 25%. What is the result?

Moving post to Power Supplies.

I do not own the video it was just to show how it sounds. My PSU sounds exactly the same but louder. especially when in menus with high fps.

issue 1: PSU makes that buzzing sound when in 3d applications at all times. the sound is extremely loud when in menus with high FPS.

issue 2: The GPU is now making loud coil whine.

GPU noise started the same time the PSU started squealing 4 days ago.

I added up wattage and it doesn't look good adding the 25%

Load Wattage: 629 +25%= 796 W

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
No motherboard onboard video - correct?

Do you have a less demanding GPU that could be installed for testing purposes?

Stop any overclocking.

Disconnect drives other than the boot drive.

Overall objective being to lower the power demand as much as possible. Determine if a reduced power demand makes a difference.

You can also test the PSU's voltage outputs. Not a full test as the PSU is not under load.

However an out of spec voltage would make the PSU quite suspect.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

I do not own the video it was just to show how it sounds. My PSU sounds exactly the same but louder. especially when in menus with high fps.

issue 1: PSU makes that buzzing sound when in 3d applications at all times. the sound is extremely loud when in menus with high FPS.

issue 2: The GPU is now making loud coil whine.

GPU noise started the same time the PSU started squealing 4 days ago.

I added up wattage and it doesn't look good adding the 25%

Load Wattage: 629 +25%= 796 W

I'd replace the PSU immediately before something is damaged...something is going belly up and it's not worth risking a 2080ti for the price of a PSU

gamer666

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
No motherboard onboard video - correct?

Do you have a less demanding GPU that could be installed for testing purposes?

Stop any overclocking.

Disconnect drives other than the boot drive.

Overall objective being to lower the power demand as much as possible. Determine if a reduced power demand makes a difference.

You can also test the PSU's voltage outputs. Not a full test as the PSU is not under load.

However an out of spec voltage would make the PSU quite suspect.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Yes there is onboard video on this Motherboard.
should i plug monitor in the onboard video and test?

I do not have another card to test :(

Unplugged 1x HDD and 1x SSD. no effect.

I am not confident enough to check the voltage is there a program that i can see in windows?
would it help if i installed the corsair link program?
only problem is i don't have the cable plugged in for or, know were a free usb header is.

Last edited:

gamer666

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
I'd replace the PSU immediately before something is damaged...something is going belly up and it's not worth risking a 2080ti for the price of a PSU
It would be so disappointing if that happened, everyone assured me this was a quality PSU and it would be enough watt for the 2080 ti 😟😟😟
I will take the PSU back tomorrow and hope they can replicate the sound.

What are you using to determine your wattage consumption? I would think that 750w is enough for that system. Gigabyte recommends 650w psu for that card. I have exactly the same CPU and GPU model as you, plus 16GB ram, m.2, sata ssd, 6 fans, and the system pulls around 425w max on a Kill-a-watt meter under game loads. This means actual system usage for me is around 390w (platinum 800w psu), although my mobo probably uses less power than yours since it is an ITX-mini. I also have the hx750i (ca. 2015) on an older system (ca.2007). Never loaded it more than 400w and it is still going, although it's not my main pc anymore. It even survived a short circuit of some power cables inside the PC (as did all the other hardware except the USB 3.0 card that the power cables were connected to!). Maybe you just got a bad PSU - it happens. It is a premium PSU with a great warranty. Swap it with the retailer if you can if there is enough time to test the replacement. If time is running out and/or you've lost faith in the brand/model, get a refund and try a different PSU from maybe the Seasonic line - they are always recommended here on the forums. Sometimes one PSU model gives your system noise and another doesn't so it can be a trial and error thing. I think voltage regulation circuits or some other aspect to the design of a given PSU might cause resonances with a particular GPU, while another PSU might not.

gamer666

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Update: Tried new PSU and i managed to get my hands on another GPU and it does the same thing.

Update: the squealing from PSU isnt as bad with lesser power GPU but something in motherboard buzzing like bug zapper
starting to think motherboard?

Last edited:

gamer666

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
UPDATE:

I found the source of the buzzing. It is the PCI-E slot!
PCI E slot somehow causing GPU and power supply to buzz like crazy

I removed the GPU and used on board graphics and the buzzing went away completely.

Hopefull i can return it it is only just over 1 year old

gamer666

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
What are you using to determine your wattage consumption? I would think that 750w is enough for that system. Gigabyte recommends 650w psu for that card. I have exactly the same CPU and GPU model as you, plus 16GB ram, m.2, sata ssd, 6 fans, and the system pulls around 425w max on a Kill-a-watt meter under game loads. This means actual system usage for me is around 390w (platinum 800w psu), although my mobo probably uses less power than yours since it is an ITX-mini. I also have the hx750i (ca. 2015) on an older system (ca.2007). Never loaded it more than 400w and it is still going, although it's not my main pc anymore. It even survived a short circuit of some power cables inside the PC (as did all the other hardware except the USB 3.0 card that the power cables were connected to!). Maybe you just got a bad PSU - it happens. It is a premium PSU with a great warranty. Swap it with the retailer if you can if there is enough time to test the replacement. If time is running out and/or you've lost faith in the brand/model, get a refund and try a different PSU from maybe the Seasonic line - they are always recommended here on the forums. Sometimes one PSU model gives your system noise and another doesn't so it can be a trial and error thing. I think voltage regulation circuits or some other aspect to the design of a given PSU might cause resonances with a particular GPU, while another PSU might not.
I used online load calculator.

UPDATE:

I found the source of the buzzing. It is the PCI-E slot!
PCI E slot somehow causing GPU and power supply to buzz like crazy

I removed the GPU and used on board graphics and the buzzing went away completely.

Hopefull i can return it it is only just over 1 year old

Most motherboards have 3 yrs on them...the question is can you live without the PC long enough to RMA it...if it was me I'd probably just buy a different brand of motherboard and move on.

gamer666

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
i don't think i can swap my motherboard as its passed one year from were i purchased it from, and i didn't register motherboard for warranty with gigabyte.

i feel is should claify the buzzing coming from motherboard is not the same as the squealing from psu, its more of a buzz like a bee. and its getting louder.

Edit: I'm starting to suspect the M.2 ssd it comes from that location. will replace and report back.

Update: so it turns out i didnt have m.2 ssd installed correclty. i did not use the stand/screw kit and i think that is the source of the buzzing. next step removing it and reinstalling windows on another ssd.

Last edited:

FreshRestart

Distinguished
May 11, 2015
This is a little late but I have the same issue with some 3d applications (Passmark and Doom Eternal in particular; the former on the starting menu and the latter when starting the game although the noise goes away after switching to a different menu and after I get to the game menu) on and I have noticed that the OP, the guy in the video and I have one thing in common: A Gigabyte motherboard which leads me to believe that it probably has something to do with that considering that on my older 990fxa-gd65 msi system doesn't have that issue running on the same psu.