PC started using more RAM

Aug 15, 2018
I have a PC with these specs:
CPU: Intel 8700K
GPU: ASUS GTX 1080
RAM: 2 8gb sticks G.Skill 3200mz

When im idle Task Manager says im using 4gb of ram, but when i go under "Users" it only shows that im using 1.2-1.4gb. What is the cause of this? And how can i fix it?
4jbi6ko

afdYLTI

Colif

Win 11 Master
You aren't the only user on PC - you may be only human one, but SYSTEM is a user the PC uses to run most of the PC
have a look on the details tab, and sort by username, you may find a few other ones in there that PC doesn't list on the user tab

is that idle with anything running or just desktop?

Aug 15, 2018

I only have Discord, spotify and chrome open but it should not be using that much

Aug 15, 2018

if i add all the processes up i only get about 1.7 gb. what is that other 2.3gb going?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set = Ram + page file usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems.

its possible task manager isn't showing you everything such as drivers process explorer may show you way more than you need.