Question Pc starting but not displaying on monitor

Dec 15, 2022
Hello Tom’s hardware community,
This is my first time posting so I apologize if this thread is in the wrong location.

just recently my pc has been having issues and I really don’t want the issue to be the graphics card but it very well may be. I’ll start with the

specs:
Amd ryzen 5 5600x
Gigabyte vision RTX 3070ti
Corsair rm 750 80W gold psu
Oloy Warhawk 4x8gb ddr4 3600
asus rog b550-A mobo
1tb Samsung 980 pro ssd boot drive
2tb seagate hdd
Windows 10

I built this pc around March 2021 all parts brand new.

Last week, I drove my pc from San Diego all the way to the Bay Area. Didn’t take the GPU out the slot. Wasn’t a super bumpy ride but it was 8 hours (700+ miles). A couple of days ago, my power strip short out because I had my pc, monitor, and a small Costco heater hooked up to it. This happened 2 times as I grabbed another power strip and used all devices again. The startup was fine and everything was going well when I unplugged the Costco heater.

Today, I’m starting up my computer and everything starts up, but the video crashes after a couple minutes and disconnects from my monitor. The rest of my peripherals stay on. Mouse keyboard, the computer fans stay running.

I’ll attach a video to hopefully help describe my situation more. The photo I took is also right after the video. I didn’t restart the computer.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022
Always remove or support the GPU when transporting PC.

Try to re-seat the GPU in its slot.
I gotta learn it the hard way I guess haha.

I’ve just tried reseating the gpu and disconnecting and reconnecting the pcie power cables. Sometimes I get lucky and the monitor turns on for 5 minutes. But as of now it’s not even connecting to my monitor.

the VGA light on my motherboard is on as well as the fans on my gpu.

Dec 15, 2022
Hey drivinfast,

I actually bought another asus motherboad x570 prime and it actually has the same problem for some reason. Pcie slot 1 doesn’t work or loses connection very fast, but when I put it into slot 2 it runs perfectly.

turns out when I have the gpu in either slot, the pc disconnects from monitor when I bump or shake the pc.

I’m going to try to swap the power supply to see if the power cables are the issue. Any other ideas?

Dec 15, 2022
Update: my problem has become the exact same as this user’s. The only difference is sometimes my pc will start up and my display does have a signal until I bump into it again.

Dec 15, 2022
Update: my problem has become the exact same as this user’s. The only difference is sometimes my pc will start up and my display does have a signal until I bump into it again.

I have also replaced and reseated literally everything in my computer (even replaced mobo) except my computer case, and the graphics card.